What spark plugs, wires and cap for a stock '71 318?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
As the title says, what would you use for a virtually stock 119,000 miles '71 318? Does have an LD4B Edelbrock intake with a 1406 carb, MP electronic ignition and dual exhaust with factory exhaust manifolds.

Any/all guidance is (as always) appreciated!

Last edited:
I would suggest a good cap and rotor from @halifaxhops. He may have wire sets as well. Otherwise, a stock set from your local parts store will work fine as well as the stock Champion plugs or whatever brand you prefer.

Since I have the Mopar Performance electronic ignition (kit from Mancini) would I purchase a cap and rotor for a production car that came, from the factory, with electronic ignition? If so, what was the first year for electronic ignition a factory standard (I believe '72 was the 1st year for electronic ignition for Mopar)?

Since I have the Mopar Performance electronic ignition (kit from Mancini) would I purchase a cap and rotor for a production car that came, from the factory, with electronic ignition? If so, what was the first year for electronic ignition a factory standard (I believe '72 was the 1st year for electronic ignition for Mopar)?
Yes, I think 72 or 73 was the first years. Ray (Hoppy) will know for sure.

Mopar Performance P4529791 if you want to stay with a tan cap. Make sure it has brass inside, and not the aluminum junk.
If you are not worried about a tan cap, Standard Blue Streak makes a very good cap and rotor.The cap comes in blue or black. Again, make sure the cap is brass, and not aluminum.
Blue Streak cap....CH-409
Blue Streak rotor...CH-303
The rotor can be used with either cap.
Summit, Jegs, EBay is where they can be had.

312-4529791.jpg

smp-ch409.jpg

smp-ch303_sn.jpg

I just put a set of cheap wires on my brown Duster from autozone. Opened the hood at night while running and it looks like a three ring circus. I alway had good luck with Packard wires. They don't burn and last a long time. And I have to agree with the blue streak cap

Accel 8320 is another decent option.
All brass, comes with cap and rotor

download.jpeg

The caps for all of those interchange.
The only Chrysler cap that will be different is if you looked up one that came with dual point Prestolite (never sold on a 318, so you're safe).
It has a spring loaded carbon button to contact the rotor and it won't clip in to the Chrysler built housing.

72 was the first for electronic ignition. And agree with Matt all 8 cyl caps interchange except dual points which all 8 interchange also.

-
Back