What stall torque converter do I run?

-

Calebnielson6

Reaction score
My setup currently consist of a rebuilt 318 with a hotter cam (no idea of the specs). 4 barrel Edelbrock carb, Rebuilt a904/a999 and a rear-end with 3.27 gears. I'm looking to get my converter rebuilt to a different stall speed, the current problem I'm having is that the motor bogs down when I shift it into gear from park, I'm pretty sure this converter came out of a slant 6 hence the stall speed being so low. Any ideas of a ballpark range of stall speed I should shoot for?

3.27? You must be runnin a Ford 8.8.

BEFORE you spend money on a big purchase like a converter, make sure your combo is in the best tune for what you have NOW. Can you describe to us what "bog down" means? In other words, HOW MUCH of an RPM drop? 150? 500? If it's a lot, you may have some tuning issues that a new converter will not address.

3.27? You must be runnin a Ford 8.8.

BEFORE you spend money on a big purchase like a converter, make sure your combo is in the best tune for what you have NOW. Can you describe to us what "bog down" means? In other words, HOW MUCH of an RPM drop? 150? 500? If it's a lot, you may have some tuning issues that a new converter will not address.
The drop is about 2-300 rpm
And yes I'm running a 8.8 :)

The drop is about 2-300 rpm
And yes I'm running a 8.8 :)
If you're sure about that RPM drop, that's a little much. Do you have a tachometer, or is it just a guess? If it's not a guess, You might try pulling in a little more initial timing and see if that helps. You'll probably have to readjust the idle back down.

If you're sure about that RPM drop, that's a little much. Do you have a tachometer, or is it just a guess? If it's not a guess, You might try pulling in a little more initial timing and see if that helps. You'll probably have to readjust the idle back down.
The car is snowed in right now so I don't 100% know right now but It is in that ballpark. Iwill try adjusting the timing when I next get the car out. Thanks

Would 3k be good for street driving? I'm not going to be doing anything to aggressive
Depends on what you mean by street driving and largely on quality of converter. Have you ever been in a car with a truly good converter with some actual stall in it? It’s possible to drive grandma burbling around town in comfort all the while being able to blow the tires off at will and setting her back in the seat as she begs you to ease up so she can pull the dentures out of the back of her throat. :steering: Really.

With a 3:27 gear your converter sounds perfect. What RRR said. And get some snow tires to run accurate tests.

One that locks at the engines torque peak, yet still streetable

Last edited:
-
Back