What the heck has happened to Ariens ??? Isn't it an American company ??

-

grassy

Reaction score
About 6 years ago, my Ariens snow blower ate it's electric start..not an issue since this thing usually starts with the first pull...more than three w/o starting, something is wrong.

Because of my disability, I am now having trouble pull starting it so I went into the dealership to talk about a trade.. took a look at a couple of units..the motor looked quite different..so I asked.. apparently they now are Chinese made..

I bought Chinese parts during our rebuild to save $s..however, we did not install them..and I am suffering through a set of Chinese made tires I was talked into... anyone know if these engines are any good..I think they are LMC. I am inclined to run in another direction but the service from this company is great and I don't mind having my opinion changed..

Thoughts ?

ian

I have a toro. :toothy1:

They make a nice unit with the chute control on the handle so you don't have to keep bending over each pass to aim the discharge chute... :violent1:

Sometimes my electric start button freezes up on me... :banghead:

I'm guessing you're seeing the 196/208/212cc Chinese made Honda Clone engine, probably 6-7 hp.

Due to the amount of old Tecumseh powered snowblowers out there, between myself and friends, we have installed several of the harbor freight "Chondas" on snowblowers (3x toro 421's and 1x 1968 Ariens Sno-Thro), and have had good luck at least for the last two years. My sister also has a troy-bilt snowblower with one of these and it's doing well too (6 years old).

20140119_104004_zpsfec01f07.jpg

Even the briggs engines look a lot like that now. I wouldn't personally be too worried.

diymirage,

Funny thread..

Here in Canada, MTD means junk... the beautiful think about the older Ariens is how far it tosses snow.. One windy day, it was getting on my neighbours driveway..110 feet away..surprised the hell out of him :) Mine is 8 hp American made motor. My neighbours equipment..maybe 5 feet...the ariens, 20.. so maybe a rebuild is in order..

The LMC engines are a Honda clone. Their weak point is the push rod retaining plates. Eventually the oil gets to the plastic guides they use and it breaks off. That creates more side to side slop ans eventually the push rod pops out. Most times it doesn't bend it and the repair is quick and the part is about $12. They use the same engine on a lot of small generators that I repair so I tend to keep a couple of the plates on hand. Other than that they tend to hold up pretty well

Carl,

Last year was rough..I burnt over 8 (cdn) gallons of high test last year in my 8 hp. Other than stoopidity on my part, I have had zero problems ..I bought it in '06 or '07. But I don't see that year as an norm.

OK..I will take a second look. Thanks
ian

diymirage,

Funny thread..

Here in Canada, MTD means junk...

I'm sure it means the same here IF your talking about the new stuff

even with the heavy snow I was running yesterday I could make it to the BACKSIDE of my roof (that means it went overtop if the house) :D

I bought an MTD blower last year after researching it thoroughly to find they make just about everyones outdoor maintenance equipment only changing colour, plastics and hand controls.

The units that I would like were twice the money and some like Honda and Yamaha units four times.

The family came to the conclusion that in this now throw away society that we will just wait for a sale and save a couple of hundred bucks buying the same unit regardless of whos name decal was stuck on it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ew/cub-cadet-3x-30hd-31ah57sz710-99055604.htm

Was going through my Consumer Reports online...Is Cub Chinese ? I believe some John Deere is. Looks much better than the throwers at Sears or Lowes.

A side note.........You have to be careful buying "brand name" stuff at "big box" stores like Sears, Lowes, etc. They often have some components that "are not" the real thing

I once had a Tecumseh powered Sears lawnmower. Had a special carb, made under contract esp. for Sears, and THAT is where you had to go for parts

Many years ago I had a Wards / RCA branded TV. it did NOT have an RCA tuner, and the tuner failed---about 3 seconds after the warrantee was up.

Friend of mine had a "big box" Deere lawn tractor / mower. He claims the Deere dealer did not want to talk to him. The mower deck bearings units , amoung other things......is not the "same."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ew/cub-cadet-3x-30hd-31ah57sz710-99055604.htm

Was going through my Consumer Reports online...Is Cub Chinese ? I believe some John Deere is. Looks much better than the throwers at Sears or Lowes.

Cub Cadet = MTD.

Other then the auger that looks just like a Troy-Bilt.

Still has a chinese engine.

If you like your old one I'd look into doing an engine swap with a new Chinese one if you cannot get yours working well. I'm not sure what you can get in Nova Scotia (got Princess Auto??) but Harbor Freight here in USA has a good selection.

I know the 212cc harbor freight engines are almost a bolt in replacement for 3.5-7hp Tecumsehs and Briggs Engines. Same mounting pattern and spacing. We had to rework the chute control on all of them though.

I have a 10 HP Tecumseh if you need on
$100.00 plus shipping and its yours
(only fired up once, still brand new)

I have a toro. :toothy1:

They make a nice unit with the chute control on the handle so you don't have to keep bending over each pass to aim the discharge chute... :violent1:

Sometimes my electric start button freezes up on me... :banghead:

i have a sams club special ...poulan pro has the chute control on the handle and electic start as well . its 4 years old now still starts on the first pull and the chute has never clogged. i cant say one negative thing about it.

here is a link that gives an idea on who makes what brand of snow thrower

http://movingsnow.com/2012/whats-the-difference/

Interesting link...guess the Chinese are getting better..bad for us... "LCT reliability on the Ariens and Husqvarna snow throwers is becoming legendary. "

I am not ready to roll over yet.

Thanks for the discussion...given me lots to think about.

Ian.

I'm guessing you're seeing the 196/208/212cc Chinese made Honda Clone engine, probably 6-7 hp.

Due to the amount of old Tecumseh powered snowblowers out there, between myself and friends, we have installed several of the harbor freight "Chondas" on snowblowers (3x toro 421's and 1x 1968 Ariens Sno-Thro), and have had good luck at least for the last two years. My sister also has a troy-bilt snowblower with one of these and it's doing well too (6 years old).

20140119_104004_zpsfec01f07.jpg

Even the briggs engines look a lot like that now. I wouldn't personally be too worried.

I have one just like yours only a few years older. I haven't used it for 3 or 4 years but I start it yearly. The old Tecumseh starts easy with the primer bulb carb. I bought a couple new Toro's a few weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. They start on the first pull and will auger through 10" of snow and blow it across the alley into the neighbors yard. The 4 stroke engines replaced the old 2 cycle Tecumseh engines they used since the original paddle wheel Snow Pup. tmm

Attachments

• 20151231_134910.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 234
I have one just like yours only a few years older. I haven't used it for 3 or 4 years but I start it yearly. The old Tecumseh starts easy with the primer bulb carb. I bought a couple new Toro's a few weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. They start on the first pull and will auger through 10" of snow and blow it across the alley into the neighbors yard. The 4 stroke engines replaced the old 2 cycle Tecumseh engines they used since the original paddle wheel Snow Pup. tmm

Mine is actually a 1981 model, but I swapped the handles to some later 80's ones I got on ebay after the originals wore through so many times I couldn't really weld them up anymore.

My old Tecumseh (4hp) still started easily, it just really had no power whatsoever. Anything over 4" of snow and it would bog. The 212cc 6.5hp predator engine also starts just as easily (no primer bulb or carb heater), and works great (have used it at -5 F before). Now it has enough power to move anything that can come in the intake. When the snow gets deep, the front end starts rising, but it never bogs, even in heavy, wet snow.

All you need to do the swap is a 3/4 to 1" adapter sleeve, a spacer for the chute handle, and a longer bolt for the chute handle. Can do the engine swap in about an hour at this point.

-
Back