What the heck is this spring?

-

Stumpy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was tracking down why my 273 4-speed 65 Dart was making a pinging noise while turning left and I found it. I can feel it through the clutch when depressed and turning. The steering gear is hitting a wire this spring is attached to. It’s right under the starter. Clutch return spring? If so why is it not clearing? What is going on here?

35839E15-FC3D-4D54-BE80-7C710D64E937.jpeg

Normally there is a spring from the clutch fork to a spot forward on the bellhousing. The spring is stretched when the clutch is pushed in.

Normally there is a spring from the clutch fork to a spot forward on the bellhousing. The spring is stretched when the clutch is pushed in.

That’s what I thought. I wonder why it’s not clearing?

I cannot tell.....what is that the spring is attached to?

In the picture above, it looks like the spring is between the clutch fork and the z-bar, parallel to the adjusting fork rod.

In the picture above, it looks like the spring is between the clutch fork and the z-bar, parallel to the adjusting fork rod.

It appears to me the end on the "right" is attached to the bottom of the Z bar. It's hard to tell.

It goes from the fork to the torque shaft to keep the slop out of the linkage. The picture above looks all wrong.

Is the adjusting rod directly behind the torsion bar, hidden?

Looks like it went BOOONGGG.. and the hook that should be on the clutch fork is just resting on top of the center link...

413, that’s the pic that is my manual too. That return spring is under the dash. I can’t find anything that shows a spring under the car by the starter. There’s a hole for it. It looks stock. I just can’t find it in the service manual.

It goes from the fork to the torque shaft to keep the slop out of the linkage. The picture above looks all wrong.

I've never seen a spring attach to the Z bar.

I cannot tell.....what is that the spring is attached to?
It’s attached to what looks to be a purposed hole in the bellhousing and then in disappears into the frame.

Post more photos of the attachment areas

I can only see where it is attached to the bellhousing. I have no idea where the other end goes and I can’t find it in the service manual.

Thanks everyone. I think I need to do more detective work.

As I noted, it looks like it flew off the clutch fork and is just sitting on top of the center link. It's supposed to hook to the fork... in the notch.. (pic NOT a factory set up w/scattershield, but shows where the spring hooks to the fork.)
beerestoration2018 225.JPG

As I noted, it looks like it flew off the clutch fork and is just sitting on top of the center link. It's supposed to hook to the fork... in the notch.. (pic NOT a factory set up w/scattershield, but shows where the spring hooks to the fork.)
View attachment 1715719154

So the clutch works fine as far as I can tell, wouldn’t it disable the clutch return if it was broken?

I can only see where it is attached to the bellhousing. I have no idea where the other end goes and I can’t find it in the service manual.

One end on the bellhousing the other on the clutch fork.

So the clutch works fine as far as I can tell, wouldn’t it disable the clutch return if it was broken?

The clutch fork would flop around and the linkage might fall out.

Pressure plate does the release work, along with the overcenter spring in the pedal. That spring is just to keep the fork and push rod engaged and not rattling as well.

Guys, yall right on later cars. All it is is basically an anti rattle spring. On the early cars, it actually holds the clutch adjuster rod together. If it comes off, the linkage can and will fall apart becoming disconnected from the clutch fork.

-
Back