What to do about 5 on 4" stud pattern wheels?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
On my '62 Valiant V8 conversion, I'm using the running gear I got off a Duster V8, which takes wheels having the 5 studs on a 4-inch circle. I've noticed that hardly any wheels seem to be made in this small stud pattern. Right now I'm using Wheel Vintiques Series 61 steel Rallyes, which as I recall was just about the only wheel I could find with this stud pattern.

I'm not totally thrilled with the Wheel Vintiques Rallyes. They were pretty poor on true and out-of-round, out of the box.

Is there anything I can do, that is not too expensive, that would give me a wider choice of wheels, or am I Totally Screwed and should just stick with my Wheel Vintiques?

Is anybody aware of any other types of wheels made in this stud pattern, which I should look into?

On the front, maybe I could get some different rotors with the 4-1/2" stud circle? I'm using the Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston discs.

In the back, would I have to get different axles?

I'm not really too smart about this stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

adapters . they'll get you 5 on 4.5 and rihht hand threads all around and about 3/4 inch more backspace

Switch to 73-76 Disc brakes. Parts are cheap and easy to find.

Agreed they aren't for a racecar but they are no weaker than these oversized alloy wheels. Slide into a curb and break one of those a lot easier.

Centerline has a few different styles & a lot of different widths in the 5 on 4" pattern.

20070206132455_convofront.jpg

20070206132457_convoet.jpg

20070206132457_fuel.jpg

20070206132458_autodrag.jpg

Moser or yukon sell the axles and you would need different drums available from the parts store. Centerline makes an auto drag style wheel for your bolt pattern. Also ebay occassionally has slots on auction

Also cragas s/s wheels are made again in 5 on 4 too.

In small bolt pattern (4") you can get steel wheels with caps, rallyes, turbine (I'm attaching a photo of the turbines and the Hustlers), slotted mags, Cragar mags, Outlaws, Hustlers....all kinds of options actually!

879.jpg

Resize of IMG_8902.JPG

Wow, thanks a lot, guys! I had no idea there were that many different kinds of wheels available in the small bolt pattern. I guess I didn't research the issue carefully enough. I appreciate the help.

Also, I discovered that you can search for wheels on summitracing.com by wheel stud pattern. They're listing Centerline and Wheel Vintiques in that stud pattern.

I still say the adapters to large bolt pattern are the best route for a street car. You may run the SBP brakes and stuff forever but if you do plan to change running gear or even cars someday you'll be back to wheel store.
my 2 cents

I dont know who makes the adapters. I see them on ebay often.

I work with a guy that has a set of sbp wheels. He thinks they are outlaw. He ask if I wanted to buy them. If anyone would be interested I will go check them out. Actually I have been planning on it just to see what they are and how much I can get them for.

These are small bolt pattern Cragers on my car.

I would not run adapters and it will cause clearance issues on Darts and probably early A's

lowrtfront.JPG

Thanks for your reply. If your friend has sbp crager ss, 14X7, 14X8, 15X7 I may be interested in a trade. I have a new in the box set of 5X4.5 bolt pattern wheels. 2 are 15X7, 2 are 15X8.

Try Newstalgia Wheels. I know they sell Crager SS in a small (4 inch) bolt pattern even though the Crager website does not list the 5/4 configuration. I just bought a set from Newstalgia complete with lugnuts and mounted with BFG Radial T/A's for a decent price. Good luck

Thanks for the Ref:

I talked with David at Coyswheel.com, good guy.

I bought mine thru Summit Racing several years ago and they were not listed in the book at the time

What about having your axles and drums redrilled for the 4.5" bolt circle? I had mine done by Moser Engineering for the same reason (a wider wheel selection).

takes the front hubs off and slide out the axles, send them to Moser. They will weld and redrill the back axles to the 4.5 bolt pattern and redrill the hubs to. I sent them my stuff and only had like 300 bucks in everything, new 3 inch studs new green bearings shipping and all. That's the easiest and cheapest way to go since all the stuff come off the car, when you get it back you know it will go right on no prob. all you will have to do is to drill the bolt pattern on you drums, very easy to do at home.

-
Back