What to do,what to do.... X pipe or not? Never Say Never Opinions please

-

J&Bs71Demon

Reaction score
OK I should know better but I ordered a set of of Hooker Comp. Headers along with the 2.5 exhaust kit with Turbo mufflers from Summit for the 71 Demon. I started off this project gathering parts to add a little zip to the stock 318/2 bbl with the addition of an alum. manifold and 4 bbl carb. It is completely out of control now.

Let me provide a little history. My intent was to leave the stock exhaust manifolds absolutely alone (I know,I know, the engine has to exhale) based on lessons I thought I had learned back in 1974. For example,
Lesson # 1 If you are going to have low hanging headers you'd better stay away from bumps one inch or higher. If you don't and you won't, break out the checkbook or nowadays the credit card.

Lesson #2 When your wife finds out and she WILL find out that you have ordered headers, be prepared to be reminded of words spoken in anger and frustration 35 years ago. This same wife wrote every check for all three sets of headers bought in 1974 and who still has every check register since 1972. She will gently remind you that you said back then that you'd NEVER put another set of headers on a Duster or Demon.
Well.............the headers came in and are awaiting installation along with the dual exhaust, a stock 1971 rebuilt 360, Performer manifold, and Carter Thermoquad, new front suspension, and paint in the engine bay. Along with the headers came an offer to get a Pair of Aerochamber Mufflers for $75.00 or a Flowtech X pipe for $40.00.

My dilemma is this, do I take advantage of the mufflers or the x pipe offer. If so do I put the x pipe, Aerochambers or Summit turbo mufflers on ebay? Any advice is welcome so thank you in advance.

Semper Fi.
Gene

I'd get the X-pipe because in most cases you'll see more of an improvement with a good crossover than with a muffler change (unless your mufflers absolutely suck to begin with). I would also sell the Summit mufflers on eBay and get some nice Dynomax Ultra Flos or Super Turbos, depending on how much Summit brand turbo mufflers go for.

send the headers back.

put an x pipe in 2.5" duals off the stock manifolds,
add sound deadner under the rear seat, and under the carpet,
if you want to yank the carpet.

Mufflers of your choice. I am using Super Turbos, no h or x pipe,
2 1/4" duals off the stock 273 manifolds.

Engine is a 318 cam is a Mopar 4452759

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./228 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 268
Advertised Duration: 260 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.430 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.450 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.430 int./0.450 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

-
Back