What To Do With a Tweaked Flex Plate?

-
upload_2020-8-30_20-38-14.png

At a bolt hole, and also not by a hole. Busted trans mount just happened to be in the same box when I took this pic years ago.

I’m with the old man, I got a stack of those, and it seems that every time I am looking for a part and open a tub of parts, I find another one.

Jeeze Louise- with 27 posts and not a single “make it a giant ninja throwing star?”
WTF people?:rofl:

It looks like the bolts came loose..when there was just two left the holes started to open up..then when there was just one left, it just broke off. Sometimes they'll do that also when the converter cracks and breaks off in the pump; something the 904s do.

Broke a couple of them. Not sure which one this was. Think it was the second one.
Heard it during an autocross. Figured out what it was and took it home.
Also thought it was likely the bolts.
Even so, got a full circle B&M after that.

Converter. TurboAction 10" 17505XXSMED Still have it, still using it.

1965 barracuda 273 A904 combo ATP Z196, $9.56 Same flex plate up thru I think 1989 - 1991

View attachment 1715587024
Rock auto is incorrect. The flexplate center hole changed diameter between 1967 and 1968. The flexplate they have listed Z-196 is for the 1968 up small block. As far as I know the early flexplate is no longer available new. How ever it is possible to make a spacer ring (similar to the crank adapter bushing) to go over the crank flange, and center the flexplate with the larger center hole.

Some of you all sound as foolish as the guy that came here with a oil leak on a FE Ford. He couldn't get the intake bolts started when he bought a Aluminum intake.
He used 3 tubes of RTV and hammered the bolts in he couldn't get started. He thought the RTV would glue it down and the bolts after grinding them to a point would hold it in place until it dried.
You should have seen that mess. On a 67 Shelby. Anything can be fixed with a Hammer. But they are mostly used for Carpentry and Destruction. The bigger the Hammer the easier it is to get the job done. LOL

I agree. If its questionable, replace it. What year is the OPs engine and trans combo? If late 60s early 70s, then any A904 flex plate will fit up thru at least 1989. Even if he's in mexico, theres still got to be enough MoPars down there in a junkyard that would have one. It's an extremely common part. It's not like he lives behind the iron curtain or in Antarctica lol.

All the old Mopars in the wrecking yards around here were sent for scrap many years ago when the price was high for scrap steel. An auto transmission shop might have something laying around.

My '65 Formula S has a 1979 dated/built in 1980 318 block and original 904 transmission. Not sure what year the crankshaft/pressure plate are. If anyone has the diameter of the two different flex plate "holes", that could be helpful to someone. Or even one measurement would determine which version one had (process of elimination).

ATP Z196 will fit it. Heck I used one of these to mate a 1992 42RH OD trans out of a 92 dakota V6 pickup to a 1974 318. The crank bolt pattern, and torque converter bolt pattern were the same.

I believe a 727 has a different torque converter pattern, all small block and big block have the same 6 bolt crank pattern. I think the only exception to that is the Hemi which used an 8 bolt crank pattern.

ATP Z196 will fit it. Heck I used one of these to mate a 1992 42RH OD trans out of a 92 dakota V6 pickup to a 1974 318. The crank bolt pattern, and torque converter bolt pattern were the same.
Z-196 will fit the 1968 and newer small block crank. The bolt pattern is the same on the early crank, as is the converter bolt pattern (904) but the center hole is a different dia.
PS: same applies to the slant six, but the crank bolt pattern is different then the small block. One hole is about 1/2 hole different.

He said his combo was a 1979-1980 318-A904 combo. You are only verifying what I already know. That this will fit his engine and trans. It will also fit an A500 42RH to ditch the trigger wheel flex plate.

He said his combo was a 1979-1980 318-A904 combo. You are only verifying what I already know. That this will fit his engine and trans. It will also fit an A500 42RH to ditch the trigger wheel flex plate.
I did not see where the OP stated the year of the engine. I am responding, and trying to clarify the wrong info posted by others.

The 426 hemi was not the only exception to the six bolt flange. Some 413s also had the eight bolt. Also, an earlier post stated that a bent flex plate can cause the converter to bottom in the crank; placing stress on the thrust main bearing; incorrect; only of the tork was pushed back against the pump could a bent flex pressure the thrust. Of course then the pump gets demolished. There is a lot of incorrect information on here; bottom line: if you disagree with me then you are way in over your head, your mechanic skills are overreached and you should sell off all your tools and buy a brand new Prius (since you must love only new stuff) and be sure to take full advantage of their extended warranty; those are always well worth money spent..

Who's screen name is Hack Job again? If he could get a good straight used one then that's 1 way to go, if not theres always new which I pointed out since he cannot find a used one, then i guess he could hammer it or bent it flat. It's his ride, let him take all this information and choose what he wants to do for himself. Most people dont want to do **** over a second time as was suggested.

Last edited:
HAMMER!?!?!? Who suggested THAT? More mis-information; it NEVER stops! Oh and that would be Mike's Transmission, Hemet, California...

Fixed it for ya. Are ya happy now. I got bigger fish to fry than the **** on this thread. Sorry if I remembered the suggestion wrong from I dunno, 30 or so posts ago. Maybe I got that number wrong too. I am sure you will correct me on that too. Hey Dibbons, forget I even suggested you could buy one of these new for cheap, or even run up to a pick n pull in SoCal and get one even cheaper.

I’m with the old man, I got a stack of those, and it seems that every time I am looking for a part and open a tub of parts, I find another one.
Hey Cosgid , maybe you can send him one. Oh wait sorry I suggested that idea either. Just use some visegrips and bend it straight.

Hahaha your funny. I hate those protester types. Always burning **** down. KAG2020 !! I prefer smooth jaw knipex liner jaw plyers myself, but not many people have $75 for a pair of these beauties. Everybody has vise grips though lol

And a hammer. Everybody's got a hammer, or a rock. If you own a flintstone mobile, you need a rock in your tool box to work on it.

-
Back