What to do with filler neck

-

kiss

Reaction score
I bought a used filler neck from a member here. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I will be installing this in the car when I swap out the gas tank.

Anyone know what I should do about the surface rust on the front of the filler where you put the gas in? Should I just sand/steel wool/scotch-brite that and leave it? Or should I paint it? What kind of gas/fumes resistant paint do we use on these?

What about the corrosion inside, which I showed on the back side of it? Anything that can be done about that or just leave it?

IMG_20170526_145041.jpg

IMG_20170526_145057.jpg

IMG_20170526_145117.jpg

IMG_20170526_145200.jpg

I polished mine on a wire brush, never seized it and installed it in the grommet-no worries.
If you have a bead blaster it would not hurt to clean the ends up best you could.

Tupperware is your friend. You would not believe all the shapes and sizes that stuff comes in. Works well as a soaking tube. Or just get a piece of 3 inch PVC with a cap, cut it to the length you want and soak away.

Tupperware is your friend. You would not believe all the shapes and sizes that stuff comes in. Works well as a soaking tube. Or just get a piece of 3 inch PVC with a cap, cut it to the length you want and soak away.

This, use a length of 3" PVC pipe and put a cap on it. You could soak pretty much everything except the very top that way, then just flip it over and soak the end in a smaller container.

Can anyone recommend what to do after the Evaporust? After I rinse it off won't it just rust again?
Should I spray it down with wd40 down the inside and just leave it?

What I did is bead blasted it on my 64 Savoy, acid etched it and painted it a decent silver gray and called it good. There is a paste that ECS sells for exhaust systems that keeps pipes from rusting, you might want to check that out.

Yes I used the Evaporust. And used a 3in PVC pipe, worked great. The Evaporust does leave a strange yellow film that I then had to scrub off.

What is evaporust anyway? I once heard of a feller that said vinegar will clean up rust.

Kiss- I have seen information on a product called Red-Kote. It is a liquid , fuel tank liner. After cleaning your fill tube it could possibly be used to protect it. Don't take my word for it. Look it up and get your own information for I have never used it.
Yote

Update everyone. I put the filler neck in a piece of PVC pipe today fully submerged. The Evaporust seems to be turning it green so far. We will see how it looks tomorrow or the next day.

It makes self wouldn't paint or coat it. Gas eats everything. Eventually. You keep pouring gas down the tube. The rust comes from water in the tank and non use.
Considering the age of the pipe and such, it isn't in bad shape at all.

Here's the update after a few days soaking in Evaporust. FYI during the soak I took it out once to scrub it with a scotch-brite pad and rinse it, and then put it back in.

The thing looks much better than before but there's still an issue. See pics. I took pics with both flash on and off for different contrasts. The Evaporust left a green film coating on the outside and inside the filler where you put the gas pump. I was able to scotch-brite that off (most of it) while rinsing it in water.

The question I have now is, what to do about the yellow stuff at the end of the filler that goes into the gas tank? Before I used Evaporust that was heavily corroded a white-ish color. Now it's yellow. I tried to scrub inside the tube with a toothbrush and a wire toothbrush type of thing and neither did very much. I sprayed it down with brake parks cleaner and that didn't have an effect on it. Right now the whole thing is coated inside and out with WD-40 to stop any rust.

The yellow stuff only goes maybe 6-12" up inside the tube, beyond that it's clean. Any ideas? Should I just ignore it and move forward with using this filler neck? Should I try soaking the bottom of the filler in something more harsh like vinegar?

EDIT - just a little more info. After 24hrs of soaking I didn't see any difference beyond that. It soaked for 3 days. It wasn't like the yellow stuff was dissolving slowly or anything or else I would have let it soak for longer.

IMG_20170615_154751.jpg

IMG_20170615_154813.jpg

IMG_20170615_154824.jpg

IMG_20170615_154837.jpg

IMG_20170615_154848.jpg

IMG_20170615_154856.jpg

IMG_20170615_154905.jpg

That won't just rinse off?
Nope, I've rinsed the hell out of it.
If you wipe it with your finger a film will come off but that's it. It's thick on there. I tried scrubbing what I could with a wire brush and wiping that off but it's still there. It's like it needs to be chemically removed.

WD40 soak had little to no effect. Brake parts cleaner isn't doing anything either.

*EDIT* I forgot to add I read online the yellow might be due to hydrocarbons?

Whow never seen that! I soaked mine in evaporust for about 4 hours and it came out clean and brite!

Not sure what to make of that! Was the solution overused?

I have noticed that some parts only need a few hours soak, exspecialy galanized type pieces. IE window regulators.

Last edited:
Whow never seen that! I soaked mine in evaporust for about 4 hours and it came out clean and brite!

Not sure what to make of that! Was the solution overused?

I have noticed that some parts only need a few hours soak, exspecialy galanized type pieces. IE window regulators.
It was a brand new bottle. I checked the filler neck regularly while it was soaking. This happened and hasn't gone away since.

I am considering soaking part of it in vinegar to see if it's able to remove the yellow crusting. Thoughts/opinions?

Maybe try phosphoric acid? I'm going to need to do the same project soon, interested to see what works.

Look like there was a reaction between the evaporust and the zinc based coating on the filler neck. The filler necks have a galvanized kind of finish that's zinc based. I would guess that because the tube was in there for 3 days the evaporust reacted with the zinc to cause the yellow color. Not sure it would be a problem, just like the white-ish appearance isn't a problem on the filler neck.

Also, I don't think you're going to totally get rid of that stuff unless you blast it, or etch it in an acid bath. And if you do either of those things, you'll need to have it re-galvanized if you don't want it to rust.

Look like there was a reaction between the evaporust and the zinc based coating on the filler neck. The filler necks have a galvanized kind of finish that's zinc based. I would guess that because the tube was in there for 3 days the evaporust reacted with the zinc to cause the yellow color. Not sure it would be a problem, just like the white-ish appearance isn't a problem on the filler neck.

Also, I don't think you're going to totally get rid of that stuff unless you blast it, or etch it in an acid bath. And if you do either of those things, you'll need to have it re-galvanized if you don't want it to rust.
The coating didn't cause it to turn yellow, it caused it to turn green. That green substance has been described elsewhere in this forum and is a reaction with the coating. I was able to scrub the green coating off easily while rinsing it.

The yellow coating is inside only, there was no yellow coating on the outside.

On a side note I wish we could buy these new. They sell the 75/76 Dart Sport/Duster ones new (chromed) but not the Dart/Valiant 75/76 filler neck new :(

I have access to a post 72 duster. I got the fuel sender from it which looked land works excellent. Tank I believe is too and think filler tube should be also. It is a 50 mile trip one way but I might be able to salvage parts for other members. Not sure of the year but could check VIN when I got there. Would need enough requests to make it worthwhile.
YOTE

I emailed Evaporust asking about it and here's the response I got:

The yellow residue is from Evapo-Rust reacting with the lead residue from when gas used to have lead in it. It gets impregnated in the metal. Acetic acid or vinegar will dissolve lead in the presence of oxygen. The residue that comes off will have lead in it and should be disposed of in a safe manner.

Makes sense I guess, although others here have said they didn't run into this on their filler necks. I don't want to soak it in vinegar because that will dissolve the plating on it. I think I will just leave it as is and run it.

-
Back