What to expect after flat tappet lobe failure.

-

cpearce

Reaction score
Good morning,

I've come across a Duster for sale with a w2 econo head engine for sale. The car is listed as a project car due to having lost a cam lobe, thus needing a tear down. Engine is a 410 stroker with k1 crank and rods, diamond pistons, built with decent parts. Engine has 500 miles on it then lost a lobe. Once this occurred it was driven home a couple miles then shut off.

My question is, from your experiences given this information what should one expect to find as far as collateral damage inside? I realize nobody has a crystal ball, just looking for experienced input. I'm considering purchasing due to the parts that went into the build, but worry about crank, piston damage etc. Has sat several years since this occurred. Great parts here, and I fully understand it needs a 100% complete rear down and inspection.

bearings, rings, oil pump & a gasket set? crank might need a turn? a real good cleaning of all the parts.
I had a cam wipe a lobe, cost me a cam, lifters, gasket set, bunch of time & brake clean.

Complete tear down and rebuild. Nothing short will get all of the metal debris out.

I replaced the cam, lifters, gaskets, oil and filter, 1 can of engine paint, I painted the intake and valve covers before i put them back on.
While the cam and intake were removed i poured diesel down into the oil pan to flush it out.

It was an exhaust lobe. On a daily driver.

The motor that you're talking about I would tear it completely down inspect everything and flush the block and rering it and bearing it.

Last edited:
pop the valve covers first, if it has stock valve train parts, a pushrod may have punched through a rocker giving all the symptoms of a wiped lobe, but at a fraction of the cost

Would one expect to have to replace pistons, or have to turn crank?

pop the valve covers first, if it has stock valve train parts, a pushrod may have punched through a rocker giving all the symptoms of a wiped lobe, but at a fraction of the cost
W2 roller rockers, owner claims once symptoms started he tried adjusting lash across the board but issue persisted. That is how it sits. I've not seen in person yet.

W2 roller rockers, owner claims once symptoms started he tried adjusting lash across the board but issue persisted. That is how it sits. I've not seen in person yet.

then im afraid his diagnoses is correct, your not popping a pushrod through those babies

Would one expect to have to replace pistons, or have to turn crank?

Maybe turn the crank. I've cleaned the crap off of many Pistons.

Mostly it will be cleaning **** up and measuring to make sure it's still useable.

The big deal is learning why he failed a cam. So it doesn't happen again.

Might plan on a new set of pistons too. Heard of the debris getting stuck in the skirts, ruining the rebuild

Need to do a very good inspection of all parts, if you got lucky all debris got stuck in filter and didn't get through the motor.
If it was mine it would be trashed!

Yes, agree to everyone above, 1 sawed of lobe makes a mess, even the block may need a rehone.
818.JPG

Take it apart and inspect. I doubt the block and crank are hurt. Clean it out and new bearings. It most likely wiped the cam because the person didn't know how to set up W2 heads correctly. Wrong springs, incorrect rocker shafts or push rods. Trust me W2 heads are a different world (and NOT cheap) but the bottom end is most likely fine.

Last edited:
I had a cam wipe a lobe back in 2008 on my old 360. I lost a lot:

• Cam and lifters (obviously).
  • Oil pump.
  • Pistons got pieces of metal stuck between the skirt and the cylinder walls, scratched up the cylinders and destroyed the pistons.
  • Bearings looked OK oddly enough.

I ended up doing a total rebuild and going stroker. The only parts that I didn’t touch were the heads/intake. Had to bore the block 10 thousandths to remove all the scratches.

Thanks for responses everyone, I think I'm going to steer clear of this one. Too many unknowns for my liking, and I dont NEED the stuff. Thought it might be worth looking into.

Bearings will probably have saved the crank. Pistons may or may not be good on an individual basis. Otherwise the engine comes totally apart down to base components and cleaned. Then it goes back together with fresh stuff.

You have heard about that "hospital clean" they talk about when building engines? You need it now!

Ask if you can cut the filter open... It's a crap shoot so buy it accordingly...

I like a good risk myself so if the price is right I roll the dice....

JW

How much is it? Don't look a gift horse in the eye and then kick him in the ***.
Very very true, however I have to weight fact I have to buy entire car to get engine. Haven't written the idea off, just giving serious consideration.

Very very true, however I have to weight fact I have to buy entire car to get engine. Haven't written the idea off, just giving serious consideration.

Can you sell the car as a roller and make some money back? I just hate to let anything W-2 or better go to some other dude.

-
Back