What to use to clean/polish aluminum wheels

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have several sets of aluminum sloted wheels in various condition as far as the finish. What I need to know from you that know is. How or what to use to clean them up and polish them?

Thanks for the info, I ordered both, I'll let you know how it turns out. One set of small bolt sets 14x9 and 14x7 1/2 are pretty bad with scale.

on my wheels that where pretty Dull and oxidized we sanded them with a DA and some 220 grit then 400,600, 800 if i did it again as bad as these were i would have started with some 100 or 120 grit and speed things up before polishing. but now that they are polished a hit with the buffer from time to time bring them back.

on my wheels that where pretty Dull and oxidized we sanded them with a DA and some 220 grit then 400,600, 800 if i did it again as bad as these were i would have started with some 100 or 120 grit and speed things up before polishing. but now that they are polished a hit with the buffer from time to time bring them back.
This is good advice, fortunatly for me my rims have never gotten bad enough to need the da sander but every year I take all the rims off and use my 7" buffer and polishing pad attached and go over them with that, I found a polish that works real good at my Fleet Farm it is called Star Brite Marine Polish and I use that with my polisher.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdet...e Polishes&ProductSSCat=Marine Waxes & Polish

Attachments

• polish.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 401
I use a product called "Flitz", good stuff.

Pat

IMG_4475.jpg
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/emandm/?action=view&current=IMG_4475.jpg

for an aluminum wheel that is in bad shape, i sand them with soapy water starting with 220 and go up to 1500 in steps to get a nice smooth finish. then polish them with mothers mag wheel polish or white diamond polish from advanced auto. both very good products with minimal cost. the results :
polishedflattyntrans006.jpg

go to your local truck stop and get your self a pad and what ever color bar of polish you need for your wheels... its about a 20.00 deal then put the pad on your bufer and rub the bar then the wheel ..i can do my big truck (22.5/12) wheels in about 3hrs and thats when they are bad...most big trucks you see going down the road thats the stuff they use...if i can i will post pics of my wheels from start to finish..mike :D

Well I'm waiting on the products I have on order. And if these don't work I'll keep trying the sugested products and methods. Thanks guys for your imput.

Try this ive polished out a couple sets of jeep aluminum wheels using these two products.

First i wash the wheels. then polish them out with COLONEL BRASSY.
Wash again then polish out with mothers. you can do it by hand or a power ball but i personally like to do it by hand. Usually take about two hours per wheel from start to finish.

View attachment 41mLHe+ijNL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 349
:prayer::prayer: took about 3 hrs to do the wheels but that inc. me taking them off the truck which takes about 20 min. per tire it self.. oh did i tell you the tire and wheel weigh about 150lbs lol :D:Deach top is before and bottom well you know lol after

Attachments

• HPIM0772.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 300
  • HPIM0773.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 292
-
Back