What type of fluid for a 69 convertible top pump?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hi all I'm in the process of putting my 69 barracuda convertible back together and just changed out the hoses for the top pump the fluid that drained out smelled like hydraulic oil so is that what I'm supposed to use to refill the system or do i use trans oil? Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Pat Faley
67 NB
69 Barracuda convertible
East Peoria, IL

Be careful when refilling the pump and system. I had my pump rebuilt and bought 2 new cylinders. I've attached the instructions I got back with the refurbished pump.
Jim

Convertible top cylinder info001_825x1050.jpg

Convertible top cylinder info002_824x1050.jpg

The instructions above say dexron or mercon.
Type f was formulated due to dexron dissolving the binders used in the friction material used in one particular model of transmission. Cant remember the model, dont know why i even know that....

Good info Jim. Very much like the instructions for the Sebring convertibles. Had one member of the Sebring club fill his pump too full and it blew the plug back out of the pump. He said it looked like old faithful just messier.

My issue with ATF is it smells and stains worse than basic hydraulic oil. I don't see power top systems needing the detergents, friction modifiers, etc.., that ATF contains.
I'm pretty sure OEM fill was basic 20w hydraulic oil. Nearly clear as mineral oil. Why not use that today?

Last edited:
IMG_3031.PNG
True. Jack oil will likely foam up.yet its clear and has little odour.too bad the dont make hydraulic oil like this too

Ok after reading all that info when I replaced the hoses the fluid that did drain out smelled like hydraulic oil so I had some hydraulic jack oil here so I filled the system with it and did notice that it foams a little so my question is what would be the best way to drain it now break lose one of the fittings and drain out as much as I can than refill it with dextron trans fluid? According to the instructions that Jim sent that's what it said to use or will I be fine with what I used?
Pat

You might find that repeated use will work the small air pockets out and foam will dissipate. You might find that any type oil will foam a little as it returns to the reservoir where a air pocket is.
I wouldn't run it up and down repeatedly for extended period as that would only agitate and increase foam and just might over heat something too. It wasn't designed for yoyo operation.
Compare to filling a power steering system. Fill it, run it briefly and let it sit still while foam disappears from that reservoir, then check level, repeat. Eventually the foam is no more.

I was looking at replacement cylinders and lines. Everything I read said to use ATF. I just disassembled my pump and found the clearish oil had turned to varnish in the reservoir and pump vanes. Luckily it dissolved when sprayed with brake clean.

I've also seen a clear hydraulic fluid in one, but have no specs
I know this post is old but I have what I believe is the OE fluid in my 67 dart and it is clear.

Seems like clear power steering fluid would be the ticket?

Maybe the reason for atf is the seal swelling component.

I recall the FSM said "AQ ATF suffix A" For 67 dart. I have searched to find if it is clear back in the day, no luck!

Look what I just found...

"Released April 1, 1967. The original Dexron (B) fluid better retained the initial properties of the previous Type "A" Suffix "A" fluid (Several thousand cycles compared to 1000 cycles).[10] Dexron (B) was composed of a more stable, less reactive, hydrotreated Group 1 base oil plus additives for add non-foaming action qualities, high heat resistance, and anti-oxidation.[11] This was the first GM ATF to advertise 24,000 miles between changes.

This was the first GM ATF to require red dye as an aid in fluid leak detection. Prior to this fluid, GM ATF was the same color as engine oil. Aftermarket ATF was available with red dye"

So it looks like
Prior to mid 67 the fluid was clear, no red dye!

"1957 – Type "A" Suffix "A" Fluid Edit

1963–1966 GM Licensed Mobilfluid ATF Type "A" Suffix "A" GM License No. AQ-ATF-752A

1963–1966 Mobilfluid ATF Type "A" Suffix "A" Lid. GM License No. AQ-ATF-752A
In 1957, GM released a new Type "A" Suffix "A" fluid specification.[5] This fluid was better suited for the higher fluid temperatures caused by the unique torque converters[6][7][8] and higher power engines of the day. The fluid specification was revised again in 1958, 1959, and 1960.[9] GM continued the licensing program allowing oil companies to produce the new Type "A" Suffix "A" fluid under their own brand name. GM Licensed fluids had the Armor Qualification license number of AQ-ATF-xxxA. Example (AQ-ATF-752A) stamped on the can. This fluid is backward compatible with the Type "A" and Hydra-Matic Drive fluids produced from 1940 to 1957.

In 1959, Ford released their own automatic transmission fluid specification (M2C33-A) and stopped using GM fluid specifications. Also in 1959, Toyota released their Toyoglide 2-speed transmission; it used the GM Type "A" Suffix "A" fluid."

Last edited:
You might find that repeated use will work the small air pockets out and foam will dissipate. You might find that any type oil will foam a little as it returns to the reservoir where a air pocket is.
I wouldn't run it up and down repeatedly for extended period as that would only agitate and increase foam and just might over heat something too. It wasn't designed for yoyo operation.
Compare to filling a power steering system. Fill it, run it briefly and let it sit still while foam disappears from that reservoir, then check level, repeat. Eventually the foam is no more.
Used to. Now a vacuum pump is needed. Twice in a month i have come across this. Had a gmc van that got a new pump. Steering would shudder. Removed all the “power steering” fluid and replaced with atf. Noticeable and instantaneous difference. Atf is one of the best hydraulic fluids you can buy.

-
Back