What type of studs do I need?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
1975 Dart Sport.

When doing my front end rebuild I'm going to install new wheels studs so they are long enough for my shank lug nuts (it has Draglites).

I know they are 1/2x20...but what diameter base do I need for them to properly press in? I know they make different base diameters, but this isn't the kind of thing found in my factory service manuals.

What I would do is goto a decent auto parts store and have them look up the number for the replacement wheel stud for your car. With this number they can look in the back of the book and get the specs for it.With these specs you can either continue to look in the same book for a stud with the same dimensions other than overall length(looking for a longer one) or check summit or jegs for longer ones with the dimensions you got from the parts store. I worked in an autoparts store for years and it won't be hard for them to do. If they feel like it. I would stay away from autozones or advance autos. Even if you can find someone who knows what they are doing, they might not have the books that have that info in it. I doubt the computer has the specs in it,but I might be wrong. P.S. your car looks great with the draglites on it. I have a 1973 340 duster and will be buying them for my car. What are the offsets on the wheels?? Thanks and good luck Rich

superdart said:
1975 Dart Sport.

When doing my front end rebuild I'm going to install new wheels studs so they are long enough for my shank lug nuts (it has Draglites).

I know they are 1/2x20...but what diameter base do I need for them to properly press in? I know they make different base diameters, but this isn't the kind of thing found in my factory service manuals.

Give Mancini Racing a call (or go to www.manciniracing.com and check their Web catalog) and ask them for a set of 3" front wheel studs for your car. As for installation, no need for a press. I use a large hammer and an old pin from a Ford I-beam and drive them into the front rotor with the rotor off the car.

Well, I got the car apart today, and knocked them out with a ball-peen.

They are .612 on the knurl, .60 on the smooth portion.

Dotman -

I'll get the backspace info for you tomorrow. Take note I'm running 15x7 in front and 15x8 out back. I currently have 215/60 & 235/60s front & rear, but that is going to change to 235s & 255s in the future.....

dotman said:
I worked in an autoparts store for years and it won't be hard for them to do. If they feel like it. I would stay away from autozones or advance autos. Even if you can find someone who knows what they are doing, they might not have the books that have that info in it. I doubt the computer has the specs in it,but I might be wrong.
Any parts store that has Dorman or Motor Mite catalog will be able to look up the dimentions for you. Advance Auto has just changed over to Dorman and if you ask I'm sure the people there would be more than happy to help. If you still need help finding the numbers let me know and next time i'm at work i can look it up in my new Dorman catalog.
Adam

-
Back