What was the first year of the collapsible steering column?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 67 Dart that currently has a 1968 steering column in it. I bought it with no steering column and ended up finding this one at a wrecking yard. I was just curious as to what year these cars were first equipped with the federally mandated safer design. Thanks, Greg

Dont know. Remember the Signal 30 Movies from Drivers Ed? Steering wheel decapitations were common with the 57 Chevy headons etc.

I think that they might benefit from it. It would toughen them up and prepare them for the REAL world.

Last edited:
All 67 Darts had a padded dash. Maybe Dodge was ahead of the mandate?

I can't tell if you are joking...
1966 is before 1967, right?
:poke:

1968 cudas only have upper and lower dash pad. The column mounting bracket attaches in three places and each of the three has a white plastic slip collar that allows the column to collapse- make sure you have these. These also insulate the column electrically, so be sure have the ground wire that goes from the column to one of the three mounting studs.

According to allpar all 68 Darts came with collapsible steering columns but I thought I read somewhere that 67's were the first year to come equipped with them. I can tell you my 67 has it's original collapsible column.

But if you go to rebuild them, '67 is a little different than '68. IIRC the difference is the lower bearing assembly

-
Back