What would cause my barely used green bearing to do this?

-

killnine

Reaction score
I installed these dutchman axles a few years ago, and they have very few miles on them. I pulled them out today to replace the pumpkin, and this is what I find. What in the world would cause this? This is just the one axle.

20210502_155032.jpg
20210502_155059.jpg

Full size pictures
http://www.semisynthetic.net/kill-9/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/20210502_155032.jpg
http://www.semisynthetic.net/kill-9/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/20210502_155059.jpg

Last edited:
Are those mopar parts? Thought they were tapered bearings stock.

Damaged during the installation perhaps? Onto the axle that is, not into the car. Did you jump the car?

Damaged during the installation perhaps? Onto the axle that is, not into the car. Did you jump the car?
No, I've barely driven it at all. To the gas station a few times. Probably only 20 miles or so. These are not stock, they are prebuilt axles from dutchman axles. I didn't notice any obvious signs of an issue before I put the axles in but of course something could have been waiting to break.

Looks your housing should be tore up also
I don't see anything wrong with the housing from this. The bearing was still working and holding together, although once I took the axle out I could pick it apart.

I don't see anything wrong with the housing from this. The bearing was still working and holding together, although once I took the axle out I could pick it apart.

The first picture looks like the bearing spun in the housing ! That should not happen !

Check the inner race they may have been too tight on the axle & cracked when bearing was installed causing particles to get caught up between the bearing & outer race done thousands of bearings over the years never seen that happen normally the bearing would melt in extreme loading. Was the thrust button removed. Do you have a pic of the other end of the axle.

Check the inner race they may have been too tight on the axle & cracked when bearing was installed causing particles to get caught up between the bearing & outer race done thousands of bearings over the years never seen that happen normally the bearing would melt in extreme loading

I would think if the inner race was cracked the bearing should be really lose on the axle ! That’s a good thought tho ! Something to definitely look into tho !

I would think if the inner race was cracked the bearing should be really lose on the axle ! That’s a good thought tho ! Something to definitely look into tho !
True looks like there where some cracks previous to letting go Chinese steel maybe there does not seem to be any bluing of the bearing suggesting heat

An outer race fracture like the one in the photos can occur when the bearing is being pressed on the axles...outer race only being supported, not good.

looks like it was already cracked look at the dark spots on both ends of the break and then it finally broke

Wow!
Never seen anything like this! Watching the thread! Never seen star washers behind the studs either!

What Diff ? Did you remove the spacer block in the center of the diff ? It looks to me like the axles bottomed out in the center and the flanges put to much side pressure on the outer bearing races.

I know Rick Ehrenberg has never been a fan of ball bearings on street cars. He says they don't hold up to side loads while cornering. Makes me wonder if the end play adjustment is different for the green bearings as compared to O.E.M. tapered bearings. Glad your housing is OK.

There have been ten billion arguments on this board about green bearings. Use the search function.

They're for drag cars, ONLY.

Some guys don't have problems with them and will tell you how great they are, solving a problem that doesn't exist and all that.

You ain't one of those guys. Get the tapered Timken bearings and don't look back.

If it was an odd occurrence, would likely be only one bearing. But both tells me method used to install bearing was not right.
I prefer warm bearing/cold shaft and a long pipe to fit inner race to drive /press it on.
The appearance of bearing spinning in housing is likely right from day one. Cracked so fit was loose.
I have no opinion regarding bearings other than originals did the job, they still should.

Insufficient end-play .
Shims are avail.
Some after-market axles come " trim to fit " .
As per post #18 .

What Diff ? Did you remove the spacer block in the center of the diff ? It looks to me like the axles bottomed out in the center and the flanges put to much side pressure on the outer bearing races.
What I was thinking. Or as already been stated, Improper installation of the bearings on the axles.

-
Back