What would cause my barely used green bearing to do this?

-
If the green bearings are so great why haven't they eliminated the tapered pinion bearings in the 8 3/4 and put in Roller bearings in their place.

It's the green bearings are so great why haven't they eliminated the tapered pinion bearings in the 8 3/4 and put in Roller bearings in their place.
Glad to see you post !!! Hope all is well !!

My question is if they can convert the axle bearings to Roller bearings why can't they do the same on the pinion bearings?
a833 input shaft and internal bearings are ball bearings similar to the green bearings. The use of a tapered roller bearing in the differential vs a round ball bearing in the manual transmission has a lot to do with how the shafts - bearing are assembled and retained.

If the green bearings are so great why haven't they eliminated the tapered pinion bearings in the 8 3/4 and put in Roller bearings in their place.

Because the tapered bearing allows for bigger tolerances. If you run a locker or spool (I've run a locker on the street for years and the D60 will be getting a spool) you have to use the green bearing. There is nothing in the center of the carrier to let the axles butt up to.

Because the tapered bearing allows for bigger tolerances. If you run a locker or spool (I've run a locker on the street for years and the D60 will be getting a spool) you have to use the green bearing. There is nothing in the center of the carrier to let the axles butt up to.
Using a double roller/ row sealed bearing with integrated cage and race are the way to go. The bearing in the pic is an older version requiring a bearing preload onto the cup such as in the adjustable flanged type /screw type bearing flange. Ive seen and replaced many mis identified bearings(parts supplier error) installed instead of intended captured case race double row and sealed non maintenance "Green" type.The width of the outer bearing race is the clue.... Cant measure the race from a out of scale pic. Good pictures though.

Have you called Dutchman ? I have Dutchmans with green bearings in my Swinger but havent put many miles on if yet .
My Barracuda has Mosers with green bearings and I have around 20k miles on them . No issue so far .
I got them from drdiff, but I don't remember exactly what specs or don't have the order form from it since I think I did it all as a guest user. It was a few years ago also, otherwise I'd ask him. They were basically big bolt pattern upgrade axles. I certainly don't want to blame him or any company really until I know what I'm dealing with measurements wise. Maybe something is off more than it should be.

I got them from drdiff, but I don't remember exactly what specs or don't have the order form from it since I think I did it all as a guest user. It was a few years ago also, otherwise I'd ask him. They were basically big bolt pattern upgrade axles. I certainly don't want to blame him or any company really until I know what I'm dealing with measurements wise. Maybe something is off more than it should be.

Send them pics and ask what they think could have caused it .

I drive by Dutchman Axles everyday . I will stop and ask them what they think could be the issue .

-
Back