What year seat is this...Plymouth or Dodge?

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
3 questions:
1. What year?
2. Dodge, Plymouth, or either?
3. What is it worth? I suppose whatever a local guy will pay but a ballpark $ would help.

I have a 71 Demon and I'm 99% sure this is NOT the correct seat. I think they had a moveable headrest and if I am not mistaken, I believe the seat latch lever was high so you didn't have to bend over. If it is newer than 71 I would be curious why they went back to bending you in half to get it to fold forward when they made a big deal of that feature at the time.

I'm thinking of replacing it with buckets but before I can sell it, I need to know what I have. The seat bolts to the floor correctly so unless the hole pattern is used in other Mopars, I'm pretty sure it is an A body seat.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

72 and up ...my 72 demon has that seat and it's the original seat

introduced in 72 and advertised as having a thinner seat for more leg room when sitting in the back seat. Also advertised as a positive because the seat backs fold forward almost completely flat so that makes loading back seat with stuff or people easier. That seat is not 71 but still a great seat for the correct car.

72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0008.jpg

72_Dodge_Dart_Demon0009.jpg

It seems like the head portion is taller than some of those brochure drawings...maybe the drawings were not to scale?

Well, it looks like I have enough information to throw it out there for sale but does anyone have an idea what I should expect to get for it? I was thinking if I could buy just one bucket seat I would be happy but that would be around $300. Is that in the ballpark? And yeah, shipping is out of the question so I realize I have a limited demand. Maybe the cover is worth something since it is easy to ship and in perfect condition?

introduced in 72 and advertised as having a thinner seat for more leg room when sitting in the back seat. Also advertised as a positive because the seat backs fold forward almost completely flat so that makes loading back seat with stuff or people easier. That seat is not 71 but still a great seat for the correct car.

View attachment 1715972023

View attachment 1715972024
Which one is his seat in the ad you posted?

It seems like the head portion is taller than some of those brochure drawings...maybe the drawings were not to scale?

Well, it looks like I have enough information to throw it out there for sale but does anyone have an idea what I should expect to get for it? I was thinking if I could buy just one bucket seat I would be happy but that would be around $300. Is that in the ballpark? And yeah, shipping is out of the question so I realize I have a limited demand. Maybe the cover is worth something since it is easy to ship and in perfect condition?
No, you see it correctly. Your seat is the 73 and up seat......and for what it's worth, I wouldn't change it. You've got the best of both worlds. It's a bench with high backs like buckets.

View attachment 1715972023

View attachment 1715972024

I agree the green seat in my ‘72 Dart Swinger is exactly the same shape and pattern.

No, you see it correctly. Your seat is the 73 and up seat......and for what it's worth, I wouldn't change it. You've got the best of both worlds. It's a bench with high backs like buckets.
The reason I was thinking of changing it is cause it is so soft. Whoever covered it didn't do a good job as I can see lumps in it in places. Maybe I should just replace the interior cushions. It looks good, just not very supportive.

The reason I was thinking of changing it is cause it is so soft. Whoever covered it didn't do a good job as I can see lumps in it in places. Maybe I should just replace the interior cushions. It looks good, just not very supportive.
Maybe the seat springs are worn out.

I think it's the best seat Chrysler ever made. Maybe get it redone with a more firm foam? Don't let me make your mind up. Do what you want. I'd just hate to see you regret it. I KNOW I would.

I agree the green seat in my ‘72 Dart Swinger is exactly the same shape and pattern.
Is it? Maybe it's for 72 as well, but that ad she posted clearly does NOT have that same seat in it.

Pretty sure that's a 72+. I had the same one in my Scamp and it was original to the car. Bought it from the 1st owner and they kept the interior really nice

20200919-160338.jpg

Same seat I have in '72 Scamp. Only the premium price line cars had that seat. They identify it as the 7" headrest version. I agree with Rusty, the nicest ( non center armrest) bench seat they made. I want to keep it for my son's build we are doing, but cover costs over $500 and has a 10 month wait for it.

Same seat I have in '72 Scamp. Only the premium price line cars had that seat. They identify it as the 7" headrest version. I agree with Rusty, the nicest ( non center armrest) bench seat they made. I want to keep it for my son's build we are doing, but cover costs over $500 and has a 10 month wait for it.
A GOOD upholstery shop could whoop up a cover right quick......don't know what it would cost, though.

HAD a good one right down the street from my shop. Just went to their "Shutting The Doors" sale yesterday. They were in business over sixty years. Gonna miss them, they did my car, motorcycle, boat, and off- road crap. My paint and body shop, even closer to me, just shut doors after 50+ years. I'm screwed now.

Well I'm convinced...I will keep it but it needs a little help with the insides. Looks like I have a gem but didn't recognize it. Thanks everyone!

-
Back