What years of power steering will fit a 64 A body?

-

Wally-T

64 Signet
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm thinking of converting to power steering in my 64 Valiant V8. What years of A body assemblies will bolt in?
Thanks, Wally

Hi folks. I'm thinking of converting to power steering in my 64 Valiant V8. What years of A body assemblies will bolt in?
Thanks, Wally

64-69 with align but the real difference is in the power steering box return fitting. 64-66 had 1/2 return and 67-69 has a 1/4 return. It’s best to stay with 64-66 if that’s what your car has or you’ll have to source a later return which isn’t impossible but can be tricky to setup.

Jake

64-69 with align but the real difference is in the power steering box return fitting. 64-66 had 1/2 return and 67-69 has a 1/4 return. It’s best to stay with 64-66 if that’s what your car has or you’ll have to source a later return which isn’t impossible but can be tricky to setup.

Jake
Ok, thank you

Jake
Jake - on my 65 PS box, it takes a 5/8 return hose as does my pump and a 65 Imperial PS cooler I have - don’t think it’s 1/2 inch. I think the later stuff uses the 3/8 but since I’m not that familiar with 67-later I may be wrong.

Jake - on my 65 PS box, it takes a 5/8 return hose as does my pump and a 65 Imperial PS cooler I have - don’t think it’s 1/2 inch. I think the later stuff uses the 3/8 but since I’m not that familiar with 67-later I may be wrong.
Don, I’m sure that you’re right. I thought it was big but didn’t think that much. The later version is 3/8 for sure.

Jake

image.jpg

Yep it's sewer sized compared to the later ones. have always wondered why so big - maybe the box needed a lower pressure? I might have to see if my 65 FSM mentions anything.

Most of the small pitman shaft steering gears will fit the k-member and work.....even B and E-body ones fit, but some look a little different. There were a couple of different mounting bolt diameters too. Fittings can be different depending on application. In '65 on a V8 A-body car, you should have a 5/8" hose size, 45 degree angle, aluminum return line fitting, and a 90 degree pressure hose fitting on the control valve. You'll need to get a P/S center shaft and coupler for your steering column (the rest of the column is the same), a pump and brackets, 2 groove crank pulley, hoses, belt, etc. Get a new lower column seal while you're at it. The factory also had a hose bracket that bolted to the K-member.

-
Back