What's a '66 Barracuda Formula S, 4-speed project car worth?

-

ValiantK360

Reaction score
So recently I found a '66 Barracuda Formula S, 4-speed project car about 5 hours away from me. I have been on the search for a 273, 4-speed Barracuda and this one is even better since it is the Formula S. An older guy currently owns in and I guess he bought it at an auction a while ago with the intentions to get it running and driving, but he never got to it and now is selling it.

Unfortunately this car does need a bit of work done to it, both mechanical and body. So the car has been in Wisconsin for it's whole life and apparently has been sitting for around 20+ years. The engine isn't seized, but hasn't been run in a long time, so it will need to be gone through. Also, it will need brakes since it has been sitting for an extended period of time. The odometer reads 59,526 miles, which seems about right, but age is catching up to the car for sure.

The body is in better in some spots than others. The trunk floor has multiple small holes in it, the floor boards are soft, the passenger side quarter panel is starting to rust around the wheel well, etc. I have seen worse, but this is still an issue.

The interior is actually not too bad. The headliner is still in tact and the driver's seat only has a small rip on the back rest. It's just dirty on the inside.

The guy is asking $5,000 for it, but I feel like that is high for the condition the car is in. These first generation Barracudas don't pull the money like a second generation Barracuda does, but this Formula S, 4-speed package is the most desirable.

I uploaded some pictures of it so everyone can see it. Maybe someone else will catch something I didn't see, but here's the car

What do you think this '66 Barracuda Formula S is worth in the condition it's in?

barracuda 1.jpg

barracuda 2.jpg

barracuda 3.jpg

barracuda 4.jpg

barracuda 5.jpg

barracuda 6.jpg

barracuda 7.jpg

barracuda 8.jpg

barracuda 9.jpg

barracuda 10.jpg

Mikee Likee. It needs some TLC but it looks like it's all here. (down to the original Inland shifter) I'd say a couple thousand or so would be a fair price. My 66 Dart was in a little better shape body wise but about the same shape everywhere else. (Hipo/4 speed etc) I spent $3500 a decade ago. (and your headliner is in 1 piece.)

Original jack and hardware, Certicard, Cool stuff that adds value. I do think $5000 is a stretch though.

Like TMM said, it looks like it is all there, except the passenger side front wheel well molding. You won't need to hunt down much and that's worth a lot.

If you gotta have a 4 speed formula S, then the price is not too far out. Maybe you could get it for $4,000.

Can you do any of the body and-or engine work to save money?
Your ahead of the game because it looks like it has 99% of the trim parts. (looks like the pass. wheel trim is in the trunk. It even has the Formula S lug nuts).
I'd feel safe @ $2500. but $4k if its a must "keeper" car!
Quality resto. and finding right buyer, final value $18k-$22k.
Good Luck!

Flex pipe for tail pipe and trailer hitch. Adds character. The correct exhaust goes for a tick more than a $1000 from Accurite LTD but it's nice stuff.

Plymouth letters missing from the hood. But dang, the more I look at the pictures the more I like it.

Don't worry, my wife would kill me, lol.

Last edited:
I see $3-4000 worth of parts if you wanted to part it out. (I wouldn't) Black/ black. Needs a set of Cragars! LOL
66 barracuda.jpg

Paid $2,800 for my 66 formula S 4-sp barracuda project with zero rust. so far I have put another $6,500-ish into it and still have to rebuild motor yet. Hope this doesn't scare you away, I have had a blast working on it and it helps keep me off the couch so money well spent so far as I'm concerned.

Like TMM said, it looks like it is all there, except the passenger side front wheel well molding. You won't need to hunt down much and that's worth a lot.

If you gotta have a 4 speed formula S, then the price is not too far out. Maybe you could get it for $4,000.

UPDATE: I offered him $3,000, but he said that is too low for him and says the absolute lowest he will go is $4,100. I bumped my offer up to $3,500 and he still won't budge. We're only $600 away from each other at this point, but I could use that spare $600 to get that Barracuda road worthy again!

Take 4K in cash! He couldn't turn it down.

UPDATE: I offered him $3,000, but he said that is too low for him and says the absolute lowest he will go is $4,100. I bumped my offer up to $3,500 and he still won't budge. We're only $600 away from each other at this point, but I could use that spare $600 to get that Barracuda road worthy again!

Let him think about it. He's willing to deal and so are you. I don't know your intent, passion for the car, or your finances but I wouldn't pass on it over $600. You'll kick yourself forever. I passed on a nice 64 Dart her a year or so back. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I'm still kicking myself and it wasn't the money, It's because it was on the east coast. What a dummy I was.

The right car with the right stuff. I think the rust damage is worse than shown, I would be looking at the subframe rails pretty hard.
To me it's a donor car with the right stuff for a good body car. JMHO---------------------------Part it out.

Let him think about it. He's willing to deal and so are you. I don't know your intent, passion for the car, or your finances but I wouldn't pass on it over $600. You'll kick yourself forever. I passed on a nice 64 Dart her a year or so back. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I'm still kicking myself and it wasn't the money, It's because it was on the east coast. What a dummy I was.

I get where you are coming from there, but since the car doesn't run and it has been sitting for a long time, I have to predict some costly repairs for the vehicle. If it were to at least run (even if it ran rough), I wouldn't have as big of a problem paying another $600 for it. Also, since he is about 4 hours away from me, I can't easily just go look at the car and see it is everything he said it was. I plan ahead the best I can...

I am gonna take a risk and wait a few days to see if he accepts my offer at all. If he sells it, then tough luck for me, but I know how some people are when they get a solid cash offer and want their car out of their driveway ASAP. This guy doesn't have much interest in the car from what he told me - he only bought it cause he thought it was cool looking.

Pay the old timer the $600 already; you know his wife could probably use the money for meds. The guy worked his whole life and finally found his dream car, then realized his limitations. Don't steal his dream over $600bucks.

I would wait this guy out.
I really like these cars especially ‘66 Formula S and Valiant convertibles. But the reality is making a nice looking car out of this is doable with time, huge effort and more money than it’ll ever be worth. You will be upside down & underwater immediately. Which is fine if you are going to keep it for yourself (remember the alternative is $10,000 for a common Honda).
My problem with something like this is who knows how long it’ll take me to get it running or in other words enjoy it a little bit.
The issue with these cars is that to make them look nice is a lot of effort and often need expensive restoration on some items (think new chrome on bumpers).
But if you do get it there will be the exciting life-style change of working on a car that only you care about (I mean NOBODY really cares about an early Barracuda aka Valiant) along with a yard full of various parts cars that are just a gold mine of interesting parts.
And then there’s this one: this guy started at $5000 in the spring is now at $4000
66 Barracuda project

If it has 56K on the motor, it probably won't take much to get it running. And you won't have to do much of anything to have a really nice car. Probably has 3.23 gears and a sure grip. There is a reason people who had those cars would not sell them for decades after they stopped driving them. It even has a 4 speed console and the 14 x 5.5 wheels, let alone the Formula S lug nuts. $4,100 would be in his hands as soon as he went down that low for me.

Old mopars are generally worth more in parts than a project. Plenty of rust. You will always find more when you sand, take it apart. Mileage, who knows, Condition is everything. First gen cudas are not worth a million $ ever. You better be able to do the work or like said you will have $25000 in a $10000 car.
Buy it if you will love it and afford it all. That is why it is for sale now.

I'd have it if I had the extra room. Not the kind of car you are going to polish up and flip at a big markup but I think that looks like a nice driver/project for $4k. Would be fun to set up for auto-X and parking lot stuff. If you end up passing on it, PM me the contact information.

-
Back