Whats a fair price?

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
I recently had my 318 retire. An intake valve and piston decided to fight, both lost. LOL. I have a guy interested in the J heads. One head is perfectly fine and the other had one valve break and mangled up the chamber a little. It is repairable luckily. All springs, other valves, keepers, and retainers are in good shape. I am just wondering what a fair price is to start at for the pair?

He also wants my Torker II 340 intake. It is the old version, which I was told is better than the newer version. Whats a rough value on this?

Without repairing the head to insure it can indeed be saved you won't get much for the pair. You didn't say if the J heads are 2.02 or 1.88 intakes?
My guess is 100-150 for the heads, 100 for the intake.

You also need to consider why the valve got into the piston, and how many more are on the edge of doing the same. If the stem stuck in the guide, chances are there are more valves ready to do the same. Really, to me that makes then cores, cuz it might be foolish to run them as is and risk another failure.

The heads are worth $50.00 to $75.00 for the pair. Most people will regard them as cores, and there is the inevitable chant from others that why mess with them when for a few dollars more (after fixing/rebuilding) they can have new aluminum, or EQ iron. The intake is good for $100.00 to $125.00; again the inevitable chant is the Air Gap is better bla, bla, bla. Actually I kinda like it, have one on my "Mean Teen" (318).

The guy plans to have them looked over. He knows the history of them and has seen them in person. They have the 2.02 intake and the 1.66 exhaust(just a rough measurement with the mic). The reason the valve broke is from me being human and missing shifts(4 speed car) and over revving it. All the intake did kiss the pistons at some point. So the terms between me and him are, he has one good casting and one needs repaired, good springs, keepers, retainers, and exhaust valves. I am treating them as needing rebuilt and they are cores. Just trying to get a rough idea of a cost value to be fair. I have been told around a $100 is a good price for cores by many here locally also. Just wanted to see what people around the country were thinking. Thanks for the input guys!

OK I get that,
So are you gonna get a rev-limiter now?, or
Do what I did; Put some real springs on there that can handle "most" missed shifts, and a minimum lifter preload. That 1-2 punch saved my bacon a few times. I've seen the tach-needle crossing 8000 on it's way down. Man when you miss a shift, you just can't get your size 11 off the pedal fast enough.
Yeah, I finally caved and installed a rev-limiter.But after fixing my shifter, I have never missed another shift in over a decade;go figure.

Those heads usually go for 100 or so with needing a basic rebuild and no other damage. I would say with the damage from the failure, probably 50-75.

Yes the car will be getting a rev limiter this time around. It will also be a 440 with aluminum heads. So a total different setup I have slowly been working on. The 318 was old and tired and was just for fun until I got this motor done. Little earlier than I had hoped though.

Heads and intake sold. I asked for $225. We settled up at $200. He was happy and I have $200 more for my 440. Thanks for the input guys!

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so surprised! I need to thank all the little people, in my life, my mother......................

-
Back