• Power

Votes: 187 43.1%
  • Manual

Votes: 247 56.9%

• Total voters
-

mopars

Reaction score
Hey. I"m in the middle of a build and i want to know what is better to have I have a manual colum and box and a power colum and box, Which one is more like and better to have? The car is a daily driver.
thanks

If you are strong, a manual. If you are not so strong, the power. It can get a little tough parallel parking with a manual.

Jack

we comparing stock boxes? if so then i like the manual box over that stock power steering box that chryslers came with.. i hear people love the firm feel boxes but i have never tried one.

I've driven many 1970s Chryslers over the years. Some with power, some with manual steering. I always liked the feel of my tires on the road with the manual steering. How often do you parallel park?

The fast ratio and quick response of power steering is far superior to manual steering. There is a reason vertually every new car comes with power steering these days.

The over boosted feel of the mopar power can be minimized for zero cost by using more modern front end alignment setting for the caster or can be eliminated with a rebuilt box from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear.

I drove y 68 Barracuda for 5 years with manual steering. Two years ago I swapped in power and it is one of the best things I have down to the car.

FWIW, I am 6' tall and over 200 lbs and strength is not an issue in handling the car at slow speeds. It was the quick response at speed that makes it so much more enjoyable to drive.

Manual box I love the feel and response. I always thought the power box's
were a little dead and lifless (imoa)

For power steering, try setting Caster @ 3 degrees positive, if it can be obtained, without sacrificing positive Camber. It will return quicker and will be more stable going down the road. Just my opinion.

For racing applications, manual steering rules !!!

I like the power steering on my Duster. It's actually how it got it's name, "Twitch" . LOL. I drive it everywhere though.

We actually took it off the Dart because it spent alot of time at the track.

i like power. with manual i felt as if i were gonna rip my steering wheel off. did the factory offer different size steering wheels for each?

i like power. with manual i felt as if i were gonna rip my steering wheel off. did the factory offer different size steering wheels for each?
No. ALl the stock steering wheels were the same. The smaller aftermarket steering wheel was my second reason for installing power steering.

After restoring my 69 cuda i started with power steering that the car came with and thought it to light, so i bought a standard box and converted it to a 20 to 1 ratio which i liked on the open road but getting into that tight spot at cruise night was a bear. So i am converting back to power for more pleasure driving since i no longer race .

I Prefer Manual its really not that bad and there are less things to go wrong and keeps the engine clean and simple

I've had both and I really enjoy the power steering in the little vert. Especially as a cruiser. Luckily, I have header clearance to keep the original PS.

Manual is really not that bad either.

I've had both and I really enjoy the power steering in the little vert. Especially as a cruiser. Luckily, I have header clearance to keep the original PS.

Manual is really not that bad either.

Don't forget guys, power steering (also what I have), robs roughly 11 horse power to run. Only by removing the belt you can usually pick up 2 tenths in the quarter.
Just my .02

Don't forget guys, power steering (also what I have), robs roughly 11 horse power to run. Only by removing the belt you can usually pick up 2 tenths in the quarter.
Just my .02

I'd take manual; My current Mopar is a 1971 340 Duster with numb power.

The manual box weighs less, and of course with manual you lose the power steering pump, hoses and brackets.

Overall you save some weight off the front of the engine and off the K member.

I'd take manual; My current Mopar is a 1971 340 Duster with numb power.

The manual box weighs less, and of course with manual you lose the power steering pump, hoses and brackets.

Overall you save some weight off the front of the engine and off the K member.

exaxctly how i feel and no squeal lock to lock and dont worry about throwing a belt at 6 grand,add electric fans and a one groove alternator and you dont sacrifice much power

I will have to remember to pull the belt if I ever go down the track. Good thing I still have a couple manual boxes laying around.

Anybody need a 68 dart PS pump and box with brackets. Probably need rebuild? :)

Mine is manual and I have the stock steering wheel. I put one of the cheap aftermarket wheels on back in the day, I think I got it from Ckeckers. I liked it for about a month and switched back to stock.

For Sunday cruising and nostagia, I love my standard box. I just get that muscle car feeling when I'm driving the Dart. You are actually DRIVING the car, shifting gears,pushing the clutch, sawing on the wheel....it's all about the feeling I get.
All of our everyday cars have power though.

I love the feel of the road and handling of my 16:1 manual steering on my '65 Barracuda S. It IS hard to park, but I'm 6' tall and fairly strong...never really been an issue I can't deal with.

:thumbrig:If it is rolling it will turn!
less is more.
I like to feel the car with non power steering.
Power steering is nice an all,
but I like a standard steering box tide to my hands8)

-
Back