whats everyone doing for car batteries these days??

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
the darts battery was questionable last year but his year it needs to be replaced.. whats everyone using? it has an autozone battery in it now that was rated high when we bought it years ago.. whats brands are decent these days and where are they carried?

thanks in advance.

I bought a Wally World Never Start too simply because it was flat on the sides and had pry off caps.

20200614_163941.jpg

Second the Napa legend batteries. I’ve had great success with them.

I use the Telsa Lithium $6000 battery! But I am frivelous. Actually our ever day is a small pickup I replaced the batt. in 3 1/2 years ago. Still good. It was a decent O Really batt. not sure which.

Bought a Wally world special to replace the original that lasted ten years in my Camaro ss.
When the pair of red top optima's went bad in the diesel pickup, I replaced them with interstates from Costco, $200 compared to over $500 for the two optimas. If they last half as long, I'm still ahead.
The box has almost new champions, available from pepboys among others, before they went belly up. Have had problems with them, turns out it's a drain from the other two batteries running the lift gate.
My Opel has HORRIBLE battery access, so it has an optima red top, five years old, going strong.
The 62 has an Interstate from Costco. I would have got the camaro battery from there, but they didn't have one when I needed it.
My go-to would be an interstate from Costco for almost anything.

20220430_185118.jpg
All I buy now are Delcos. I can't handle leakers that destroy everything around them (that means you, Interstate). The Napas seem decent too, but the Delcos aren't too much extra $$, so that's what I will buy from now on. I cleaned this battery spotless about 3 months ago.

Last edited:
Me too. Right from Walmart lol. 6 Years and still going .
I was at an estate sell, bought a lot of stuff and threw some batteries in the mix. A ten year old everstart maxx powered up just fine and worked for 2 more years and was working in the car I sold it in. I bought one just to have around the shop too.

Ditto on the Delco.
Had good luck with Delco too. There is only 2 battery manufacturers in the United States. Johnson Control and Exide. My last CarQuest battery was made in Saudi Arabia. It sucked. I should have went to Walmart.

Batteries have gotten insane lately, seem to have doubled in the last 6 months. Put a Delco in the wife's Grand Cherokee about a month ago- no complaints, but it was $175 plus core (on sale). I normally use a local old-school battery builder (Challenger Batteries), but they were closed at the time I needed it. A couple days later I saw the $56 specials at Wallyworld, and picked one up for a shop/run stand battery- we'll see how it holds up.

Bought a Wally world special to replace the original that lasted ten years in my Camaro ss.
When the pair of red top optima's went bad in the diesel pickup, I replaced them with interstates from Costco, $200 compared to over $500 for the two optimas. If they last half as long, I'm still ahead.
The box has almost new champions, available from pepboys among others, before they went belly up. Have had problems with them, turns out it's a drain from the other two batteries running the lift gate.
My Opel has HORRIBLE battery access, so it has an optima red top, five years old, going strong.
The 62 has an Interstate from Costco. I would have got the camaro battery from there, but they didn't have one when I needed it.
My go-to would be an interstate from Costco for almost anything.
You have an Opel? One of my first car times, after Dad passed. My Friend John Popp bought one for 5 bucks from a guy up the street. Think we were 15. Pushed it home by hand. Lol

Wow! just found the receipt for the duralast thats in the car now. its freaking 8 years old. i cant be upset about that. lol

Wow! just found the receipt for the duralast thats in the car now. its freaking 8 years old. i cant be upset about that. lol
That's real good. The Delco that was oem in my camaro went nine years plus, the optimas in my pickup had one go eight years, the other still doing OK at eleven. I just decided to gamble on five years out of the interstates, and save $300 (I bet both brands are considerably more, now)

You have an Opel? One of my first car times, after Dad passed. My Friend John Popp bought one for 5 bucks from a guy up the street. Think we were 15. Pushed it home by hand. Lol
Yep, a 69 gt. 454 in it for the time being. My best bud in high school had a Kadett. When he got done with it, it was a $10 car too.

If you can fit a group 65 battery in, I highly recommend the Motorcraft.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tough-max-battery-group-size-65/mot2/bxt65850
They ain't cheap but they have the best warranty in the business. 3 year free replacement and 100 month prorated warranty after that. If it goes bad during the prorated period and you have to pay "whatever" the figured prorated price is, the warranty starts all over again. They are badass batteries, too.

Bought my 2012 Jeep Liberty in Feb 2013 with 5k on it. Still running the original battery although it is tired. Tested it with my hydrometer in March and 4 cells were 85% and the other 2 were 90%. I will change it before winter and probably get a Deka at a local dealer.

Got a Duracell from batteries plus for my little truck. Seems to be good. Also been getting the Costco interstates. I killed one a couple years ago in the duster as I had a major draw after the painful “Painless” rewrite of the car, due to shitty destructions. Exchanged no questions asked, did not even load test it. Have a red top in the car now, I pull the negative after I’m done ripping around for the day. I’ve not put it on a changer in over a year, could let the car sit a month or two and then starts like a champ… my brother has 15 year old res tops we use for slave batteries at the track and still load test at 100%..

Red tops are great, try and find a used one, charge them in series with a regular battery. I see them once in a blue moon at pick-a-part, even the yellow one once. I just buy the cheapest wallymart 90 day batteries because the warranty on the 3 year is a joke. I took a 36 month battery back in 38 months to load test and they said your SOL, failed miserably at 60%. The Dekas we have in the fleet trucks are made in India. I had a white cased Interstate with a green top and it lasted forever.

Interstate since I gave up on whatever else I was using that I can't recall.
I know I bought Delco exclusively years ago.
I bought a cheap Advance Auto battery for another car and haven't had any issues.

I do put them on a trickle charger when needed, left something on, after/during the winter, when I used one for the winch.

Yep, had two red tops in my diesel, when one went bad, I thought it still might be under warranty....... I was wrong, it was eight years old. Replaced them both with something much cheaper, but the other red top I took out is still going strong at eleven.

-
Back