Whats is worth 8 3/4 with suregrip, drum to drum, 3.91's

-

Caco2120

Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 in my running driving car. It has A body width perches, a suregrip, 3.91's in a 742 case.big bolt pattern. and I think the larger drum brakes.

Only thing I can think to mention is that I think its B body width. I currently run 10 inch wide wheels, and they fit just fine with it. in a scamp. I can measure backing plate to backing plate when it warms up.

I would be selling drum to drum.

appreciate any thoughts. thanks!!

I have a 8 3/4 in my running driving car. It has A body width perches, a suregrip, 3.91's in a 742 case.big bolt pattern. and I think the larger drum brakes.

Only thing I can think to mention is that I think its B body width. I currently run 10 inch wide wheels, and they fit just fine with it. in a scamp. I can measure backing plate to backing plate when it warms up.

I would be selling drum to drum.

appreciate any thoughts. thanks!!
it ain't going to be running and driving along if you take that rear end out of it! Out of curiosity what's the new plan?

it ain't going to be running and driving along if you take that rear end out of it! Out of curiosity what's the new plan?
lol a 9inch with a locker or spool. going to a drag car only. I know the suregrip will live, but I want to pass it on to someone else before I start laying down 10's, and running it on the ragged edge.

lol a 9inch with a locker or spool. going to a drag car only. I know the suregrip will live, but I want to pass it on to someone else before I start laying down 10's, and running it on the ragged edge.
Yes after I got my stroker I did the same thing with my eight and a quarter. I took about 10 or 15 passes with it and was thinking man I better sell this before Kaboom! I sold it and built an 8 3/4 what's a 489 case brand new spool brand new bearings brand new gears and brand new 35 spline axles with green bearings. Blew up on my twentieth pass! Put the same again $1, 200 into a Dana 60 and have never look back...

Yes after I got my stroker I did the same thing with my eight and a quarter. I took about 10 or 15 passes with it and was thinking man I better sell this before Kaboom! I sold it and built an 8 3/4 what's a 489 case brand new spool brand new bearings brand new gears and brand new 35 spline axles with green bearings. Blew up on my twentieth pass! Put the same again $1, 200 into a Dana 60 and have never look back...
I think my 83/4 would live quite a while, but i'd actually feel bad blowing up a mopar rear end, that has value to someone else (And me when I sell it :) ) 9 inches are plentiful, and worth less..lol

A lot of the rears longevity is coupled with car weight, manual or auto trans launch rpm, power (torque) of the engine multiplied by the rear gears.

What is the cars goal?

A lot of the rears longevity is coupled with car weight, manual or auto trans launch rpm, power (torque) of the engine multiplied by the rear gears.

What is the cars goal?
the cars goal is 9's , trans brake 727. forced induction SB
my goal at the moment...is to figure out what my rear end is worth.lol

If your car is under 3,000 lbs. it’ll live a little while. Call it testing. Because for that level, it is ether a 9 or DANA.

A buddy of mine raced his all steel (except hood) ‘69 Dart with a 500 Indy headed stroker in the mid to low 9’s for two years before... BOOM!

A B-body 8 3/4 with A body 43" width perches running 10" rims with 7" BS. Something doesn't sound right.

Looks like $800 would be a reasonable price. Take some pics and some measurements and start a sale thread.

the cars goal is 9's , trans brake 727. forced induction SB
my goal at the moment...is to figure out what my rear end is worth.lol
Where is Marion?
What kind of forced induction?
How is it getting done?

If it is snail powered, belt driven or exhaust driven, it is a softer hit than a NA high rpm trans brake hit or a roots or N02 hitting hard off the line. The reward would live longer.

Where is Marion?
What kind of forced induction?
How is it getting done?

If it is snail powered, belt driven or exhaust driven, it is a softer hit than a NA high rpm trans brake hit or a roots or N02 hitting hard off the line. The reward would live longer.
I think this is a clear case of putting the carriage before the horse doesn't he need to sell the rear end and buy her and and then get a motor and transmission? sounds like he's doing the responsible adult thing and building it from the back forward?

A B-body 8 3/4 with A body 43" width perches running 10" rims with 7" BS. Something doesn't sound right.
you are totally right. I do have a spring relocation. The car is not tubbed however. That's deff essentially info that I forgot!

My thoughts is that this rear end would live forever is someones 400-500 HP car...
So I should pass it on while
1. its in great working order
2. it has value to myself as a seller, and to the future buyer

I need to start pricing out what Im going to have in a 9 inch, and go from there.

thanks all, seems I have my ballpark numbers.

My thoughts is that this rear end would live forever is someones 400-500 HP car...
So I should pass it on while
1. its in great working order
2. it has value to myself as a seller, and to the future buyer

I need to start pricing out what Im going to have in a 9 inch, and go from there.

thanks all, seems I have my ballpark numbers.
I know you're looking to do a 9 in but I will give you a rundown on my D60 if you'd like or not....
I bought a D60 out of Craigslist from a Dodge 3/4 ton truck for $160. I lucked out and it had good 4.10 gears. sold quickly all the brakes and axles and all that which would happen to be in very good condition for 40 bucks. Call Dr diff and ordered $125 spooi $50 bearings and shims, and for $300 Moyer 35 spline axles with green bearings. = $545. Oh yeah also $75 to dr diff for Mopar housing ends to melt the backing plates on. =$620 +$350 for shortening the actual and Welding on the ends and actually welding the tubes to the case for strength. And 175 to set up the gears professionally. I reused all my brakes and backing plates. = $1145. Plus I would say another $55 and shipping fees and gear oil. For a total all in cost of about $1,200.

I'd say $700 - $1000, depending on how badly someone wanted it. I have a bare housing, SBP axles, and backing plates for an A body that were given to me. I've had quite a few people try to by it, but it's not for sale. Regarding the Dana 60 comment above, I have been able to buy complete Dana 60 HD rear ends from 3/4 or 1 ton trucks for $50. I have one in the garage that was, again, given to me.

-
Back