What's needed to fit a 440 Six Pack under stock hood

-

Jesse Martin

Title Don't need no stinkin title!
Reaction score
When I was originally building the 440 for my Scamp I wanted to go with a six-pack but skipped it thinking it that it was not able to fit under the stock hood without a scoop, but recently saw this photo of a dart that has it with no scoop. Has anyone else done this? If so is that part of the hood support the only thing that needs to be clearanced? Here is the photo of that car.
1969-dodge-dart-custom.jpg

I believe many have done it without modding the hood. My '69 Barracuda didn't need it with a '67 or the '69 hood. Spacers under the cabs ain't gonna' happen unless you're cuttin' though.
DO NOT install the air cleaner hold down studs until you know your clearance!
Do notice the wiper motor in your picture. A two speed will require a notch in the air cleaner base. If you have a "shaker" base, all it needs is a small bend.

BTW, I recommend a torque strap.

Last edited:
i don't think they're any taller than any other stock intake/carb/air cleaner

Some use 1'' spacers between the K-Member and the frame for extra clearance.
I know the '68 Hemi Hurst cars did this, so you have to think about front end component geometry issues if you do this mod.............

Some use 1'' spacers between the K-Member and the frame for extra clearance.
I know the '68 Hemi Hurst cars did this, so you have to think about front end component geometry issues if you do this mod.............
Looking at that picture it looks like they did some cutting on the inner bracing on the passenger side, left side in the picture.

When I was originally building the 440 for my Scamp I wanted to go with a six-pack but skipped it thinking it that it was not able to fit under the stock hood without a scoop, but recently saw this photo of a dart that has it with no scoop. Has anyone else done this? If so is that part of the hood support the only thing that needs to be clearanced? Here is the photo of that car.
View attachment 1715583647
A while back, there was a company making drop base, RB 6 pack air cleaners that looked factory like that. not sure if they're still making them or even if that is one but worth mentioning

FWIW, Mine, inside the scoop looking toward firewall..........
upload_2020-8-24_18-12-59.png

Much tighter when looking forward passenger side...............
upload_2020-8-24_18-14-29.png

upload_2020-8-24_18-18-50.png

-
Back