What's On These Head Bolts?

-

Duggie

Reaction score
The factory service manual doesn't say anything about using a product when installing the head bolts, yet mine came out looking like this. What's that about?
Head Bolts.JPG

I put a small amount of RTV on the threads every single head bolt I install. Been doin it since about 1983. Never had a leak. Never had one seize up. Never had one rust up. I do it on them ALL whether they go through to water or not. It's always just "worked" for ME.

Ahah! So this could have scraped off the threads on install, and smeared UP the head bolts instead of dripping down the bolts.

Most likely. But that would have meant someone used too much, IMO. All you need is just enough to fill the threads in.

I don't know about slants, but some SB have wet head bolt holes. I got into one HELL of a discussion about that on here years ago This is a 318LA I don't think any 340/360's have this issue

That is my thumb holding a flashlight, and the light you see is reflected back up from inside the block

mt1r93-jpg.jpg

I don't know about slants, but some SB have wet head bolt holes. I got into one HELL of a discussion about that on here years ago This is a 318LA I don't think any 340/360's have this issue

That is my thumb holding a flashlight, and the light you see is reflected back up from inside the block

View attachment 1715568826

I seem to remember that argument. It was pretty epic.

If it doesn't lead to an issue, suit yourself, to eschew his own, etc and so forth.
Anything going into water I put rtv or thread sealer on the threads. The rest is wire wheeled and just lightly oiled.

OP has a rookie amount of sealer applied.
You put it on the threads, wipe just down the thread edge ...so it doesnt get in between gasket ...or smeared everywhere.

Make sure you take the time to chase the threads, use some PB blaster on the head bolts make sure everything is nice and easy before you torque down also torque down in small increments leading to the final torque spec, last but not least, on the side of the lifter valley run some Black RVT.

-
Back