What's That Sound?

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
I rebuilt the top end of my 360 with new heads, intake, cam, hydraulic lifters, and carb. I had an oil pressure prob at startup and shut it down until I could get a rod and prime it. Then went through the break-in without issue. I went to the muffler shop today to get the exhaust all patched up and on the way home right outside my neighborhood, I heard this tapping sound. Oil pressure is and has been around 60 psi.

Sadly, I think I know what it is...but what's your guess?

Ouch. Pull the valve covers and roll it over until you find the one that is loose.

Shutting them down on startup isn't a big deal. Grinding on them to get them to start is a lobe killer.

That sounds more like a knock to me. Best of luck, hope you get it figured out. 65'

I changed my mind, I think I'll join YR, the sound is not sharp enough,nor deep enough, nor does it ring/echo like a con-rod.
Back to post #2
I will hold my thoughts till I hear it rev up. Con rod is easy to hear then...

It sounds like valve train to me, it's to slow to be a rod
does sound like a hard hit though

Good idea. Hopefully you used loctite on them. Had a buddy ruin a perfectly good 440 not using loctite because he was a cheap ***.
I didn't touch the converter bolts in my work. But it got me thinking about the trans pressure. The last time I had an issue with the kick down linkage being out of adjustment it made a grinding sound too...I don't know what t was but proper adjustment stopped it.

Is there a "miss" going on with this, did the tick start all of a sudden? Yank the plugs and see if there's an electrode beat up.

That does not sound like a loose flexplate whatsoever. It also doesn't sound like a con rod. It does sound more like an exhaust leak. Good luck. J.Rob

That does not sound like a loose flexplate whatsoever. It also doesn't sound like a con rod. It does sound more like an exhaust leak. Good luck. J.Rob

I thought that too, but it sounded like it was on both sides. I guess it's possible both sides could have a leak.

-
Back