Whats the correct carb for 69 340 4 spd

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what would be the correct orig carb for my 69 340 4 spd. Is there a difference from auto to std?

Thanks!

There is a different carb number for 4 speed and automatic. The differences between them, idk.

Actually I think that the difference is in the off idle circuit. I've used auto AVS on 4 speed cars with no issues but when I've tried to use 4 speed AVS on an automatic I always had an off idle stumble that I couldn't get rid of.

Ok I has found someone that has a #4611 carter carb for me. He says that it is correct for my 69 340 4 spd, but in my parts manual as well as one of Goviers books, it shows #4611S as being the correct one. apparently the difference between 4611 and the "S" is the jets and metering?? Simple cheap easy fix?? I am not a carb guy, and wondering if it is worth putting it in my car, as I want a little more lump in the 340 than what was factory. Nothing drastic, because its basically going to be restored ot original, except for maybe pistol grip shifter and the extra "lump". Its a convertible, so I dont wanna twist the $hit out of it. Sorry for being long winded.
Is or will the orig carb going to work with the extra "lump"??
Can the changes be done (by a carb guy) easily and economically to change from 4611 to 4611S

Thanks
Steve

Here's my 2 cents worth. Have an original 340 4 spd Duster. Had original AVS carb on it. Completely went through the carb with rebuilt kit, also new choke diaphram unit, choke linkage kit that fits in the manifold, everything. Probably spent about 20 hours working on this thing and fine tuning. Still had minor problems, especially when cold.

In the end I decided that after 40 years, the passages and other metal parts have either deteriorated, warped, or just plain worn out. The car ran OK but not like I thought it should.

Broke down and purchased a new Edlebrock Performer Series Thunder Jet AVS 650. Bolted on, spent maybe 5 minutes with adjustments and it runs circles around the stock carb.

I have kept the stock carb due to matching numbers, but if you want the car to run troublefree, get yourself a new carb. Save yourself time and money in the long run.

4611 is the right carb, don't worry about the S it means nothing, most avs, afb, and t-quads carbs have the "S" after it. the only other stampings will be the date code, you might see a B9 meaning february 69, the carb should also have a tag on the top that will give the same info as the stampings. the 4- speed carb should have the carb dashpot bracket (often missing) and the lever on the passenger side linkage to actuate the dashpot, and the dashpot itself. Carb will still work good without all the dashpot stuff but isn't visually correct. The dashpot slows the pri trottle blades from closing to quickly helping with smoother shifts. in the pic is a 4611 69 340 4-speed carb on my 68 383 Road Runner 4-speed, the jetting acording to my 68 service manual is the same for the 4611 69 340 carb & the 4426 68 383 4 speed carb. should be fine with a mild cam my RR is mostly stock with a 220 @.050 cam and i put a 1/2" 4 hole spacer under the carb. Good luck!!

68 RR 383 4-speed (96).jpg

Ok, thanks guys, I will go with the 4611 for now maybe, see how it runs and if there is issues then i will start shopping for a new one.

Thanks
Steve

-
Back