whats the deal with mopar thermostat housings?

-

69 Valiant Kid

Reaction score
that crappy billet thermostat housing from mopar is leaking. i even sanded it and threw a new gasket under there. i cant believe this stupid thermostaat hosuing and gasket leaking deal is what keeps putting me off from fine tuning this thing. along with the fuel leak....what a joke.

is it billet aluminum,or chrome pot metal?The chrome ones have always leaked,and damn near impossible to keep them from leaking.The only thing ive found that works is to sand them with 80 grit,and use indian head gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket

I know it's a bit pricey, but the billet housing Macini's sells has been leak-free on my car for about 200 miles now. Granted, it was $35.... but if I don't have to fix it every week it's got to be worth something... :-D
SANY0038-vi.jpg

Same here the DAM thing leaked and leaked. So I went down to Autozone boughta $9 intake put it on and waited 24 hours without hose to let it dry in & out and no leaks, end of chapter.

DSC_0185.jpg

Quit using gaskets a long time ago. Permatex silicone and let it set before final tightening. (tip) Use 1/4" drive...

Yeppers.... Use to work with a guy at a GM dealership many moons ago that talked me into trying it and I never looked back! On the slant, the six pack big block, 383 magnum and the 4 bbl 318 all just silicone.

My son runs his circle track car with out one and does it like mguner.
And the indian head gasket sealer is a great product that works great.
I soak my gaskets in a bucket of water for a couple hours and then let them dry. It swells the material and lets it fill and fit a bad surface.

If you have to have it NOW the silicone is not for you. The old guy that showed me used to do heavy line work and would seal up his engines etc and let cure over night.... then lightly retorque. Don't use too much or too little and as soon as it starts to squeeze out flush STOP and let it set up.

If you have to have it NOW the silicone is not for you. The old guy that showed me used to do heavy line work and would seal up his engines etc and let cure over night.... then lightly retorque. Don't use too much or too little and as soon as it starts to squeeze out flush STOP and let it set up.

Skin thin on booth sides almost :thumbrig:

I got tired of my cheap chrome one leaking so I bought one at a swap meet for $3. Dang, now I got to add that to the "what are you doing to your car this winter thread"!!

The Meziere swivel billet neck. fits and seals perfectly first and every time. You could also cut an oring groove in any model to do the same thing.

here is a picture of the autozone one i got works good. just go in and get one for a earlier V-8 mopar make sure it is the right size cause they made 2 dif ones. I got the smaller for the m1 just had them look up a V-8 diplomat.

dusterwithnewengineandexhaust001.jpg

that crappy billet thermostat housing from mopar is leaking. i even sanded it and threw a new gasket under there. i cant believe this stupid thermostaat hosuing and gasket leaking deal is what keeps putting me off from fine tuning this thing. along with the fuel leak....what a joke.
Hey man i seen the fix for this www.terrysautolab.com i have 2 of them.I put one on my big block and it has 6500 miles on it with no leaks and no warping.Check it out.

bought 3 mopar never been able to stop them leaking

so I bought last spring a nice billet specialities oring housing
so far no leaks and look great

I run the Mancini billet one on an aluminum intake, thin film of RTV on both sides of gasket, no leaks.

What he said.
Hey guys i understand that some of you don';t have any problems with your housing leaking.I just threw this out because i went through 2 mopar chrome water neck housings.Both leaked like hell.I used all kinds of sealers.No luck. I used special gasket material from a local pulpmill.NO luck.I used a 40 year old water neck housing and guess what it FREAKIN leaked as well.It had a small pin hole in the side of it just under where the hose connects to the top of it.So this local guy in town came up with a fix.Its an o-ringed housing made of billet aluminum and it works.I have one on my 440 super bee and 73 duster with a 360 in it.www.terrysautolab.com

Hey guys i understand that some of you don';t have any problems with your housing leaking.I just threw this out because i went through 2 mopar chrome water neck housings.Both leaked like hell.I used all kinds of sealers.No luck. I used special gasket material from a local pulpmill.NO luck.I used a 40 year old water neck housing and guess what it FREAKIN leaked as well.It had a small pin hole in the side of it just under where the hose connects to the top of it.So this local guy in town came up with a fix.Its an o-ringed housing made of billet aluminum and it works.I have one on my 440 super bee and 73 duster with a 360 in it.www.terrysautolab.com

When my factory housing cracked and leaked, I spent $5 at Advance Auto for a replacement, painted it small-block-red and installed it. No leak now.

-
Back