What's up with these planes?

-
Hey you are right! :D

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 576
those are definitely doctored images...here's the original

2uz5f7q.jpg

Hey I'm old! I actually recognize the flight suits! HA! Besides, I sat next to the f-106 all day watching them fly missions. And they were old in 1971!

Another old guy! glad to meet you. 102's and 106's look almost identical. You have to be older than me! HA!
Thanks for the link. The delta Dart was an awesome Airplane as well. Two of them going down the runway at the same time was a sight to see!

Yes, I fit the "old guy" description very well!

Though I was on a tactical missile launch crew, my barracks window in Germany overlooked an earth covered revetment that protected an F-102 of the 496th FIS. Late night engine runs would guarantee either getting up to watch the glowing tailpipe, or pulling the pillow over my head to help block out the scream. You couldn't just ignore it.

I wonder if the TSGT who submitted the idea for a tail insignia was indeed a Chrysler fan? The fact that the 318 engine came out in '57, the year the insignia was picked, and that the squadron number was 318 might not have been a coincidence.

Yes, I fit the "old guy" description very well!

Though I was on a tactical missile launch crew, my barracks window in Germany overlooked an earth covered revetment that protected an F-102 of the 496th FIS. Late night engine runs would guarantee either getting up to watch the glowing tailpipe, or pulling the pillow over my head to help block out the scream. You couldn't just ignore it.

I wonder if the TSGT who submitted the idea for a tail insignia was indeed a Chrysler fan? The fact that the 318 engine came out in '57, the year the insignia was picked, and that the squadron number was 318 might not have been a coincidence.
Very likely! Mopars were big with the AF guys. Most of the muscle cars in the lot were Mopars. I was at Minot in 71' and the F-106 Hangar was right next to the Helicopter hangar, where I was assigned. UH-1F, missile support. Those Norad Jets were a spectacle! With taxiing B-52's nearby, the noise permeated your body. Esspecially at -30 degrees! Omaha was never cold to me again, after 18 months up there.

Very likely! Mopars were big with the AF guys. Most of the muscle cars in the lot were Mopars. I was at Minot in 71' and the F-106 Hangar was right next to the Helicopter hangar, where I was assigned. UH-1F, missile support. Those Norad Jets were a spectacle! With taxiing B-52's nearby, the noise permeated your body. Esspecially at -30 degrees! Omaha was never cold to me again, after 18 months up there.
NOTHING LIKE THE BARRACKS 1/2 MILE FROM THE FLIGHT LINE, AND 52`S RUNNIG AT 90 SOMETHING PERCENT ALL NIGHT !:banghead: BOB

I like to think that I was a very small part of the reason Mopars were popular at Minot AFB. I was in sales at Main Motors in Minot in 1964 and our dealership bent over backward to give good and fair deals to GIs. Our sales manager said the best salesmen were happy customers, and the base was a constant source of new customers. I personally sold two of the new '64 Barracudas to airmen.

When the auto hobby shop had a new car show, we were given the best spot to display our cars when we brought them out the day before the show. The Chevy dealer was arrogant and not very popular on base, so during the night the TSGT running the show loosened a muffler on one of the Chevy muscle cars. When we picked up the cars that evening, the Chevy made it about a block before the muffler blew off and had to drive back to town sounding like an old clunker. The Air Force guys laughed like crazy.

FWIW, thirty below was mild for ND! When I was a dumb kid. I went hunting one year when it was 52 below!

:cheers::cheers:
I like to think that I was a very small part of the reason Mopars were popular at Minot AFB. I was in sales at Main Motors in Minot in 1964 and our dealership bent over backward to give good and fair deals to GIs. Our sales manager said the best salesmen were happy customers, and the base was a constant source of new customers. I personally sold two of the new '64 Barracudas to airmen.

When the auto hobby shop had a new car show, we were given the best spot to display our cars when we brought them out the day before the show. The Chevy dealer was arrogant and not very popular on base, so during the night the TSGT running the show loosened a muffler on one of the Chevy muscle cars. When we picked up the cars that evening, the Chevy made it about a block before the muffler blew off and had to drive back to town sounding like an old clunker. The Air Force guys laughed like crazy. :cheers:

FWIW, thirty below was mild for ND! When I was a dumb kid. I went hunting one year when it was 52 below!
Now that TSGT was a man after my own heart! OH, The USAF was so kind! Once it got to -65 wind chill, they quit flying, except for the alert planes.
Helicopters would stick to the runway! I remember well playing fish between flights with the guys, everybody in parka's sitting around the table frosty and all. Once the B-52's revved up, we sat and stared at each other until they were all gone. we couldn't hear each other in any way shape or form! The trailer shook like we were in an earthquake!. I can't believe I actually have fond memories of that. Then going to the hamburger joint in town, and being able to still see the tail of a BUF, and hear the engines, 11 mile or so away.:cheers:

You're right about the noise that goes with B-52 operations. While I never worked at the base, I had the good fortune to be driving by during an alert takeoff which, if I remember correctly, was at 15 second intervals. We stopped and watched, but were unable to carry on a conversation. By the time all the birds were airborne you could barely see the highway for all the black smoke in the air.

Now I manage to get my heavy bomber fix and commissary shopping by driving over to Shreveport a couple times a year...and I understand your fond memories.

You're right about the noise that goes with B-52 operations. While I never worked at the base, I had the good fortune to be driving by during an alert takeoff which, if I remember correctly, was at 15 second intervals. We stopped and watched, but were unable to carry on a conversation. By the time all the birds were airborne you could barely see the highway for all the black smoke in the air.

Now I manage to get my heavy bomber fix and commissary shopping by driving over to Shreveport a couple times a year...and I understand your fond memories.

You definitely aren't in NODAK land anymore! quite a bit warmer it is I'm sure. That water Injection certainly added black smoke. But in those days, you needed all the thrust you could get!

If anybody is interested:

F-102 Delta Dagger
[ame]http://youtu.be/HQ0i-zosfmw[/ame]

F-106 Delta Dart
[ame]http://youtu.be/59TLU7cc7mg[/ame]

B-52 alert scramble (Planes start rolling around the 2min mark):
[ame]http://youtu.be/wJ7niLYSVFo[/ame]

Thanks for the links! A beautiful sight that gives us old blue-suiters chills.

The most authentic movie ever produced about SAC was called "A Gathering of Eagles", starring Rock Hudson. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and find a copy.

It really captured the feel of the Air Force before the Vietnam War, and it was so authentic that the alert message the operational units received was word for word the same as was used in the real world. Only the classified codes were changed.

My pleasure, gentlemen. While I can't say much about the noise of Air Force jets, I had the honor of being a fire-control radar technician for F-14D Tomcats onboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, and I can tell you when those twin-engined bastards lit off their afterburners you could feel it! Did any of you ever get a front row seat to a high-speed flyby?

My pleasure, gentlemen. While I can't say much about the noise of Air Force jets, I had the honor of being a fire-control radar technician for F-14D Tomcats onboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, and I can tell you when those twin-engined bastards lit off their afterburners you could feel it! Did any of you ever get a front row seat to a high-speed flyby?

My last Duty was working on the RF-4C. and there was nothing like fueling them up on the taxiway running around 25-30%. Crouched under them while they are running makes you realize how small you really are! Thanks for the video from another old Blue Suiter.

Saw a few high speed flybys.

German civilians had packed the flight line at our base on Armed Forces day in 1961. Free beer, bratwurst, and airplanes drew Germans like flies. We had our missile static display set up along with many US Air Force aircraft and Army weapons systems. The Italian Air Force was there with their aerobatic team for the main event, but to end the show we would get see a "century series" flyby.

The first plane by was an F-101. It made a low altitude, leisurely pass down the full length of the runway. Then came the faster F-102, followed by and F-104 and a new-to-Europe F-105. Everyone oohed and aahed, and then went back to drinking their beer. I mentioned to my buddy that is was strange that the F-100 didn't make a pass, especially since they were the main fighter stationed at our base, but they had done some formation flying earlier, so we thought that was it. At about that time, we looked toward the end of the runway and could see that big oval intake of an F-100 approaching through the distortion of a shock wave. He had it firewalled at 50 feet off the ground and his pass was meant to surprise everyone...and it certainly did.

The plane and the sound arrived at the viewing area about the same time and the afterburner blast as he pointed the nose up was only exceeded by the screams of the crowd. Beer flew in every direction, people ran in circles and we laughed our butts off.

I was a fine finale to the air show.

Saw a few high speed flybys.

German civilians had packed the flight line at our base on Armed Forces day in 1961. Free beer, bratwurst, and airplanes drew Germans like flies. We had our missile static display set up along with many US Air Force aircraft and Army weapons systems. The Italian Air Force was there with their aerobatic team for the main event, but to end the show we would get see a "century series" flyby.

The first plane by was an F-101. It made a low altitude, leisurely pass down the full length of the runway. Then came the faster F-102, followed by and F-104 and a new-to-Europe F-105. Everyone oohed and aahed, and then went back to drinking their beer. I mentioned to my buddy that is was strange that the F-100 didn't make a pass, especially since they were the main fighter stationed at our base, but they had done some formation flying earlier, so we thought that was it. At about that time, we looked toward the end of the runway and could see that big oval intake of an F-100 approaching through the distortion of a shock wave. He had it firewalled at 50 feet off the ground and his pass was meant to surprise everyone...and it certainly did.

The plane and the sound arrived at the viewing area about the same time and the afterburner blast as he pointed the nose up was only exceeded by the screams of the crowd. Beer flew in every direction, people ran in circles and we laughed our butts off.

I was a fine finale to the air show.

Wow. That is absolutely hilarious! While I never saw anything like that, I was witness to a few airshows put on by our air group for the Tiger cruises between Hawaii and the West Coast. All of those high speed flybys were well advertised in advance.

You mentioning your static missile displays reminded me of something I saw when my ship was doing workups after a yard period. We had to recertify our Sea Sparrow anti-aircraft missiles, so they would have a Learjet tow a target behind the plane, fly over us, and we would fire our missiles at that target. I tell you, them Learjet flyboys musta had solid brass ones, because you couldn't PAY me enough to do that!

george-w-bush-fighter-pilot-swc.jpg

A rather famous former F-102 pilot. Anybody who could fly one of those monsters is not an average pilot.

bush.plane.jpg

f_102_g_w_bush.jpg

f102_07.jpg

A reboot, of a great thread. Came here,on a "search " gig , glad I dud. 65 Affair : Kudos & Thanks for the video links.

-
Back