What's wrong with this picture?

-

B3RE

B³ Racing Engines
Reaction score
Hmmm.

20180518_112707.jpg

Even though I’m missing my glasses in the cell phone only get so good, I’d say, possibly a crank too tight? Why revving too high.

The #1 and #3 caps look to have smaller journal size for 318/340. The #2, #4, and #5 caps look to have larger journals for 360.

The #1 and #3 caps look to have smaller journal size for 318/340. The #2, #4, and #5 caps look to have larger journals for 360.

I think # 2 and 4 have the standoff's for the windage tray making them taller and look bigger,

Is that the direction they were removed from the engine? As in the "tang" location being backwards, meaning the front 4 caps were installed backwards.

Well, what is wrong is not actually wrong, just different. These bearings only have a few thousand miles on them, and are being reused in a mild 318.

I have never used stock replacement King bearing before, and wouldn't have for this if I was buying new, but apparently King uses full groove bearings on 1,3, and 5, but half groove on 2 and 4.

With the large amount of poor quality parts and engine work I've been seeing lately, and the fact that Clevite doesn't mix their stock replacement bearings like this, I figured someone screwed up. You learn something new every day.

So the upper halves all had grooves? Strange....
Yes, not sure why 2 and 4 lowers don't get a groove, while 1, 3, and 5 do. Apparently they feel that no groove will save more oil when some of it is being directed to the heads. For a stock replacement bearing though, why not just make them all half groove?

OK, the order change makes more sense: 1-3-5 with full groove. At least it is symmetrical....

Trying to think what it would do for pressures in the rockers.... full groove on #2 and #4 would seem likely to lower pressure to the rockers. That may be the logic behind this....

OK, the order change makes more sense: 1-3-5 with full groove. At least it is symmetrical....

Trying to think what it would do for pressures in the rockers.... full groove on #2 and #4 would seem likely to lower pressure to the rockers. That may be the logic behind this....
Could be, but my hangup is the stock replacement part. The factory didn't use a full groove bearing or mismatch, so I guess I don't see the benefit of the full groove on the other three.

I've used King before and I don't recall them being that way. It was full groove for the whole set. Maybe they were boxed wrong?

I thought Clevite made a set of bearing that didn't have full grooves on all the shells.

Number one main only feeds one rod and so does five (if I'm thinking correctly) so they decided to use half groove in those places.

I never do it. I run full groove everywhere. Why King is doing what they are I have no idea. I used Kings on and off since 1995. At times they were almost impossible to get for Chrysler's so I would buy several sets of half groove bearings when I could get them, and then just machine a groove in the bottoms on the lathe.

I've used King before and I don't recall them being that way. It was full groove for the whole set. Maybe they were boxed wrong?
Same here, but they were the performance bearings. I checked the King catalog, and the numbers on these bearings correspond with what the catalog shows, non grooved lowers on 2 and 4. I initially had them out of order, because from a performance stand point number 2 seems to starve for oil quicker than the others, so I put the grooved bearing there. That was with the assumption the bearings were mixed up. After checking the catalog, I see it was intentional.

I thought Clevite made a set of bearing that didn't have full grooves on all the shells.

Number one main only feeds one rod and so does five (if I'm thinking correctly) so they decided to use half groove in those places.

I never do it. I run full groove everywhere. Why King is doing what they are I have no idea. I used Kings on and off since 1995. At times they were almost impossible to get for Chrysler's so I would buy several sets of half groove bearings when I could get them, and then just machine a groove in the bottoms on the lathe.
They do, but they are half groove on all of them, not just 2 and 4.

a full groove gives the rod bearings full time oiling, good for high rpm. 1 and 5 only feed on rod. the clevite 340 set is fully grooved except #3, so I machine it to 3/4 groove. 2 and 4 on a small block feed a rocker shaft. I think King and federal mogul hp had 340 sets with all 5 being 3/4 groove = the hot setup

IIRC mine were on a 360, 2-3 years ago. No way were they mixed like that. Weird.

So, who makes a full groove set currently?

The last set I used (273 4-5 months ago) were Clevite P series. All 5 were full groove.

-
Back