Whats your oldest personal possession

-

64 AAR Valiant

ODD DUCK
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
From your childhood

Radar O Riley has nothing on me. LOL
I was going thru some old boxs i havent opened in 30 plus years.
And there was an old friend. He looks a bit worn but not bad for 65.

IMG_20180109_160826.jpg

Last edited:
Left nut.

No really. Pop Warner Jersey? First pocket knife. I'm thinkin..............

For man made items, likely this bronze spear point.

I found it on an Alaskan beach as a wee lad, it was likely traded to one of the local Indian tribes by the Russian or Spanish sailing ships sent with trade goods to swap to the Indians for furs.

bronze spear point.JPG

My black and white totally manual rabbit ear TV with a whopping 13 channels to choose from. Got it for my 12th birthday. Yup! Still works. Volume know is sketchy.

Collections of US coins that go back to the early 1900s. Dimes, pennies, nickles. My Mom and Dad collected them starting in the 1940s. Given to me at least 50 years ago. I like the steel pennies that were made during WWII.

My first pet dog toy when I was still an infant (circa 1955-56). Supposedly it plays music, (Brahms Lullaby) when you wind up the tail. Unfortunately, the tail is missing (one ear is missing also). If anyone recognizes what company made this, I sure would like to know. sound bite:
Musicbox brahms lullaby LOOP.wav by klankbeeld

DSC04183.JPG

P.S. Not sure if one played the lullaby by winding the tail (with key?) or pulling the tail (ouch!).

Last edited:
Not my oldest but close. I have my 84 Mustang GT Convertible that I bought new.

84mustangmonthly12.jpg

Second to oldest - Porthole my dad got from a local diver back in 1974 after it was recovered from the SS Princess Sophia.

It hit a reef in SE Alaska in 1918 & as a result, all lives were lost. The story is tragic, because other vessels in the area offered to get everyone aboard to safety, but the captain refused.

More information at SS Princess Sophia - Wikipedia

Porthole from the Princess Sophia wreck - October 25, 1918.JPG

I'd have to say that the one item that has been in personal possession the longest is "GI Joe, A Real American Hero" issue number 2, published by Marvel Comics, first run printing from 1982, bought new off the newstand.

I didn't purchase #1 until years later.

That comic started a love affair with comics that lasts a decade through my teen years.

I'd have to think about that "a lot." For starters, my Father's old 20ga Winchester pump which I now own. It's a Model 12 (1912). I've forgotten when I dated it by SN, I think the early '30s

p15104079495062140.jpg

I was unaware until just recently that it easily and quickly breaks down. With practice, you could break it down in maybe 10 seconds

Winchester%2520M12%2520takedown%2520%25287%2529.jpg

Mine is a Lionel Junior 1681 train set. It was purchased new in 1936 by my grandfather for my dad on his first Christmas. My dad gave it to me when I was 5 years old. I still have the complete set with all the cars and tracks...and it still works.

Here is the engine from it. It sits on the bookshelf next to my desk.

IMG_0544.JPG

A box full of old Photographs of my Family.Not many of my Dad( Died in accident) when I was 14 or my Mom who died of heart disease when I was 18...both 38.. Had to raise my 4 younger sisters with my ***** 1st wife.I almost digitized them once but nothing like looking at an old Black and White Photo. To me memories are better than possessions even tho I would like to have some of my old Tonka Trucks. :)

I have a lot of things much older then the bear that were left to me.
Old kero lamps. Some very ornate.
A barber pole original gas lamp style. Art, crates of depression glass.
Boxes of coins . A few cars. I could fill a 6000sq ft warehouse with the stuff. Come to think of it I have .
They all mean something to me because they are a connection to my family's past.
Sad to say but I know when I'm gone it will all just get sold off.
My grandfather once told me youre never really gone till there is no one left to remember you.
Guess thats why I keep the stuff.

I've got a couple of pld Christmas light strings that we're used when I was a wee brat. Only two, but they still work, also some of those ornaments. The ornaments aren't the greatest, but some serious sentimental value; priceless.

I have a lot of things much older then the bear that were left to me.
Old kero lamps. Some very ornate.
A barber pole original gas lamp style. Art, crates of depression glass.
Boxes of coins . A few cars. I could fill a 6000sq ft warehouse with the stuff. Come to think of it I have .
They all mean something to me because they are a connection to my family's past.
Sad to say but I know when I'm gone it will all just get sold off.
My grandfather once told me youre never really gone till there is no one left to remember you.
Guess thats why I keep the stuff.
Yeah, why I like hanging onto the old stuff. Reminice of what I feel were better times.

The oldest thing that I have is a gun cabinet that my great grand father and grand father built.
This would have been prior to WWII.
I also have a 20 ga. that my grandpa (dad's dad) bought when he got off the train after returning home from WWII.
As for me, I have a neat Marx Army Truck. My grandpa (mom's dad) gave it to me when I was little. It was old when he gave it to me, but still new in the box. Mom swore he bought it for one of my uncles, but misplaced it. The only reason I got it was because he found it again. I never took it home and only played with it when I was at his house.
I've been collecting toy army trucks since.
I also have my teddy bear from when I was little.

-
Back