whats your opinion

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
i had some one tell me to get a timing gear drive set instead of a gear and chain set since mine feels like theres to much slop in the chain when i changed the fuel pump what would you guys recommend?

Is it the original set with the plastic gear?
Replace it with a good double roller, comp cams makes some I do believe? That's what I did and it's working great.
I think the gear drive is over kill unless your running high horse power or something. Could be wrong though, never looked into a gear drive

to b honest idk if this engine has the original chain and gear set. the engine in car is not the original one the engine i was told from a '68 pickup

Gear drives are cool in the fact that you never have to worry about chain slop or timing jumping or having to replace the chain. Timing is dead set. But for $50, there isn't any beating a Summit double roller set that is super easy to install and is good quality as well.

i just ordered a comp cams double roller timing chain today for 21.99 plus the ride from summit for a sb mopar

i just ordered a comp cams double roller timing chain today for 21.99 plus the ride from summit for a sb mopar

Geez that cheap?? WOW...The geardrive is cool and I love the sounds of it, but overkill if your engine is a stocker..dbl roller from comp cams...thats what went in dads 273

yup 48.66 for the chain, gasket set, tax, and the ride to my front door. looked a rock auto first and would have been more i think 53something for cheaper stuff

Gotta love a gear drive!!!

120_0678.jpg

yup 48.66 for the chain, gasket set, tax, and the ride to my front door. looked a rock auto first and would have been more i think 53something for cheaper stuff

I hope you got the timing set with the chain and both gears. A chain won't do you much good without the gears to match. tmm

Gotta love a gear drive!!!

120_0678.jpg

How much and any issues or pits falls during installation one should know about?

I myself, last time, grabbed a Summit racing double roller chain.
They are a nice piece.

A good doulble roller and a timming chain tensioner (mopar performance) should be more than enough on the street.

How much and any issues or pits falls during installation one should know about?

I myself, last time, grabbed a Summit racing double roller chain.
They are a nice piece.

When I bought it from summit back in 2006, it was $300. But holy hell, now they are $389??!!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-13600/overview/make/dodge

The only thing during installation is I had to drill a hole for the mounting plate, see the far right mounting bolt in the picture I provided in the earlier post, where the support plate kicks out. It doesn't go into a water jacket or anything, but I used a dab of silicone on the threads to be safe.

The cam gear and hub assembly have adjustable bolt patterns, so cam timing isn't an issue. One tricky thing I do remember is during and after installation, the instructions state to run a piece of newspaper between the gears to get the proper mesh affect, if you will...

A good doulble roller and a timming chain tensioner (mopar performance) should be more than enough on the street.

Right, thats what I used on my 318.

2gsflso.jpg

I'd go with the double roller and gear set. Gear drives make noise.

I run a gear drive, ( I also love the noise) but mine ended up being fairly quiet because the small block timing cover muffels most of the noise. I love that the timing is dead nuts accurate all the time. Timing chains are primitive in comparison.

Yep.......Chain only ???
I bought the complete set for $50~. The Comp Cams one was like $5-$7 more so i ordered the Summit one and figured if it wasn't as good as 90% of the stuff they make, I'd send it back and cough up the extra couple bucks as it wasn't going on for a couple weeks. The Summit one showed up and it was a quality piece and I took what I saved and bought a tube of RTV:D

-
Back