Wheel and Tire Choices for the '63 Dart

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So what tires can be run on the Dart? Stock ride height and the original 7 1/4" small bolt pattern. What is the optimal backspacing and widest tire that can be run with no chance of rubbing. Thinking about 15" unless someone convinces me 14" is the way to go.

Thanks

They are the standard backspace 4" .

The tires in the pic are 205/65Rx15 on 15x7 .

I have a pair of 15x8 to replace the rear and try 245/60Rx15 later when I change the rear axle to a 8 1/4 with Large Bolt Pattern to match the front 73'-76 LBP disc brakes up front.

Dart Left.jpg

Last edited:
215/65x15 up front on a 15x6 rim, 3.75 BS. 245/60x15 on back on a 15x7 rim, 4.125 BS. Fronts fit fine but a tiny rub at at full lock to the right. Rears clear well unless you have a car full of people and hit a speed bump. All of this is on original everything underneath the car. I expect the clearance issues to go away when I rebuild the front end and replace the rear springs. 66 Valiant, all SBP and still (for now) 7-1/4 rear end.

P7140794.JPG

The front wheels are skinny 15x4 1/2, the rears are 15x7. Front tires are 165 80 15 and the rears are 235 70 15.

001c.jpg

Here's 215/70x14's on the front on stock 14x6 wheels. The rears are 15x7 (4"backspace) with 225/70x15's The Rallys are a different choice. I just mounted tham on the drivers side to se if I liked the look. LOL

001b.JPG

060.jpg

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of rebuilding the front end of my 66GT Dart. I’m going with the later Disc brakes with 4 1/2” bolt pattern.
Has anybody that’s done this used 15x7” wheels with 4” back spacing. Also, what tire size did U use?
Reason for asking is I have a set of of 15x7” wheels.
Appreciate any info. Thanx!

Take a look above at the yellow & white Dart for my solution
Check, I see ur running 205/65x15’s on 15x7 rims.
Are u running disc’s on the front? Was told that by doing the Disc brake swap that may move the wheels out further than the original drum brakes. Any idea?

Didn’t notice any change.
Yes I used 73-76 A body upper control arms, spindles , lower ball joints , rotors, bearings ,seals , calipers , flex hoses and manual master cylinder .
You will need to save the push rod from the original single master cylinder . To get it out clamp rod in a vice and and smack the piston to drive it off . May need to slip an open end wrench on it to give a bigger target to hit.

If your brake lines are good , make a new line from the m/c “front” port the one closest to the firewall to the multi port block under the floorboard , get a plug to block the port you remove the line going to the rear brakes. Your front brakes are now plumbed.

Now from the “rear”port on the m/c the one farthest from the firewall make a line to an adjustable proportioning valve then make a line down to the rear brake line and connect with a line to line fitting. Now your rear brakes are plumbed .

You can also run 225/60R15 with no problem.

Didn’t notice any change.
Yes I used 73-76 A body upper control arms, spindles , lower ball joints , rotors, bearings ,seals , calipers , flex hoses and manual master cylinder .
You will need to save the push rod from the original single master cylinder . To get it out clamp rod in a vice and and smack the piston to drive it off . May need to slip an open end wrench on it to give a bigger target to hit.

If your brake lines are good , make a new line from the m/c “front” port the one closest to the firewall to the multi port block under the floorboard , get a plug to block the port you remove the line going to the rear brakes. Your front brakes are now plumbed.

Now from the “rear”port on the m/c the one farthest from the firewall make a line to an adjustable proportioning valve then make a line down to the rear brake line and connect with a line to line fitting. Now your rear brakes are plumbed .

You can also run 225/60R15 with no problem.
Thanks for the great information. Very much appreciated.

im running 15x7 zero offset wheel vintiques rally wheels and Toyo 205/70r15 tires on a 64 dart. All brand new stock suspension ans steering with a slant 6.

its a +2 oversize tire. Went with because the GF really wanted whitewalls and i didnt want a no name tire.

With a proper alignment its fits without rubbing but the car sits about 1.5in higher than stock.

im running 15x7 zero offset wheel vintiques rally wheels and Toyo 205/70r15 tires on a 64 dart. All brand new stock suspension ans steering with a slant 6.

its a +2 oversize tire. Went with because the GF really wanted whitewalls and i didnt want a no name tire.

With a proper alignment its fits without rubbing but the car sits about 1.5in higher than stock.
Thanks for the information.

-
Back