Wheels

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Anyone used the 15” wheels that’s 5x4” pattern? How’d they work for you and how safe?Thought about gettin them for my daily driver. ,part time strip. Thanks

A related question: I've seen double-lug patterned (4" and 4.5" on the same wheel). Anybody used those?

Cragar used to sell double pattern and used oval washers. Were they really 4+4.5 or were they 4.5+4.75? 5 on 4 in a 15 is off the shelf at wheel vintiques for their Rallies. I'd say safer as you can get way more speed rated tires in 15 than 14 nowadays.

I run 15x7s up front and 15x8s out back
Small bolt pattern
I'm sure it's safer then the bald N50/14s I had before

US Indies still makes the classic slots

20180322_143040.jpg

That’s what I was thinkin bout right there. Gotta be just as good as goin to bbp but less cost.

The only way to get modern tire technology, is to step up to 17inch or larger wheels. 15 inch tires are reserved anymore for truck tires. 5 on 4 inch pattern is safe. Nothing wrong with the wheels....

I ran a pair of Wheel Vintiques Rallys on the front of my 68 Barracuda on the KH hubs 5 on 4.0. The wheels were 15x 8 with sticky compound 245/50-15s. Cornered pretty good but burned the tires off in about 6weeks of mostly city driving. Hyup, those were good times. I still got the wheels; 5.25bs IIRC

Looks like you can still get decent 15 tires. Sorry for mis information.

It’s ok. I just wanted the convenience of better and more choices for 1” tires over 14” without having to loose my Kelsey Hayes discs and matching drums. Street driving and occasional drag racing is all I do wit my car,, some long road trips. 17’s ride like bricks, imo. Experiences?,, wife’s Honda, son in laws camaro,daughters 18’s on her 2014 Charger, etc,etc,etc. Thanks.

Last edited:
17” is custom. Plenty of Car 15” sizes. Thanks.

Are there plenty? The only ones I can think of are the super-low end trim levels of econo cars.

2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage-ES-626x382.jpg

Looks like you can still get decent 15 tires. Sorry for mis information.

Can you define "decent?" If you're looking at 60 Series stuff that we would run on our cars we're severely limited. There are replicas of old tires from Coker which IIRC perform comparably to the originals (translation: "drive at your own risk")...then you have some ancient designs that have lingered for decades (BFG Radial T/A) and some ok all-season "performance" (Hankook Ventus H101, Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T).

There are some great performance tires in the 15" range but they're almost all 50 series and shorter, targeted at 90s era import stuff. :(

The only other one that I have come across is the Avon CR6ZZ which aren't readily available in the States...and while likely street legal, they're 80 treadwear so they're sure not going to last too long. I'd sure give them a try if Tirerack or any local place carried them.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

CR6ZZ-side.jpg

Must be a California thing. But then,who cares. I’ve seen and run, cooper,big and many others.255/60r15,,275/60r15,,, 235,245,. The list goes on. In 65,70,75 series tires from Michelin, Goodyear, cooper, big, and many others. Hi and lesser quality. Just because you chose to run 17’s which are hard riding bricks,,,imo don’t act like there’s no 15” choices... LMFAO!!!

Small bolt Rallys on my Swinger. The center hub hole on the wheel is larger than the spindle hub on the car. I haven't had issues though. I have never heard of 4 and 4 1/2" dual pattern wheels. 4 1/2- 4 3/4" were common.

001.jpg

Are there plenty? The only ones I can think of are the super-low end trim levels of econo cars.

View attachment 1715173126

Can you define "decent?" If you're looking at 60 Series stuff that we would run on our cars we're severely limited. There are replicas of old tires from Coker which IIRC perform comparably to the originals (translation: "drive at your own risk")...then you have some ancient designs that have lingered for decades (BFG Radial T/A) and some ok all-season "performance" (Hankook Ventus H101, Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T).

There are some great performance tires in the 15" range but they're almost all 50 series and shorter, targeted at 90s era import stuff. :(

The only other one that I have come across is the Avon CR6ZZ which aren't readily available in the States...and while likely street legal, they're 80 treadwear so they're sure not going to last too long. I'd sure give them a try if Tirerack or any local place carried them.

CR6ZZ | Avon Motorsport

View attachment 1715173127
Here are some
175/60R15 High Performance Tires — CARiD.com

Must be a California thing. But then,who cares. I’ve seen and run, cooper,big and many others.255/60r15,,275/60r15,,, 235,245,. The list goes on. In 65,70,75 series tires from Michelin, Goodyear, cooper, big, and many others. Hi and lesser quality. Just because you chose to run 17’s which are hard riding bricks,,,imo don’t act like there’s no 15” choices... LMFAO!!!
There are other reasons for using 17 inch wheels, they out perform the 15 in stuff. Why do you think 15 inch are not used anymore for performance cars?

There are other reasons for using 17 inch wheels, they out perform the 15 in stuff. Why do you think 15 inch are not used anymore for performance cars?
Nobody cares bout pushin 17’s. That wasn’t even a subject.

Nobody cares bout pushin 17’s. That wasn’t even a subject.
I was just stating to OP to save there money and get wheels that you can put real tires on. IMO of course... Unless you just want the old look...there is a reason you see the BFG's on old cars. AND its not because they are any good. They are the only performance oriented tire you can buy in the 15 and 14 inch sizes we need. And they are crap tires. Hockey pucks...old rubber compound technology. Pushin 17'S HUH? :lol:

Last edited:
And Im not saying 15's look bad, just the tires in that size are limited. Dog dish caps look good...

Another delete that’s gotten off subject.

The whole thread was pointless to begin with. What's unsafe about a 5x4" bolt pattern? Nothing. No, it's not as strong as the 5x4.5" pattern with larger studs, but plenty modern cars still run 4 lug wheel patterns with studs on par with the 7/16" size on the SBP. Using a 15" rim with a 5x4" pattern isn't really any different than using a 14" rim with 5x4" pattern, so I'm not sure why the question even comes up.

The only reason to get rid of the 5x4" pattern is to have more rim, tire, and brake options available, and if you just want to run 15's available with the SBP you pretty much eliminate all of those reasons entirely.

-
Back