When does money outweigh sentimental value? 1968 notchback build thread

-

khuebner250

Reaction score
I'm needing some help, opinions and honesty. I'm extremely discouraged right now.

So quick background. In 1995 I bought my 1968 notchback when I was 15. 318,904,7 1/4. Supposedly a little old ladies car from Cali, she passed and I bought it from her son in law in Chicago. Had been hit in the driver's rear that I knew of. Drove it through high school.

Between 15 and 17yo I built a 360, 727, 8 3/4. Put about 500 miles on motor. Went to wyotech, met a girl, got married, had kids, moved to CO, bought a house and had back surgery.

Fast forward to June 2015. Time to bring it from the back burner to the front. Been disassembling, pulled everything, cut and channeled crossbrace for a500, frame connectors. Car is on jack stands currently, I'm trying to get it ready for paint and body.

Today... Pulled drivers glass and started quarter glass. Started noticing issues and really looking over the car. I'm considering these major and wonder if I should move forward or if the car is worth saving. Looking for honest opinions and what this may cost.

Thanks. Keith

Drivers rear damage

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_174021846.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,557
Rear quarter panel behind quarter glass. Top of fender

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_174735368.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,317
Same, looking back towards rear

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_174113578.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,188
Wheelwell drivers

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_174313827.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_20150915_174304418.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,206
Trunk extension drivers

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_174334842.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_20150915_174357313.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 987
Depends on what you want out of the car in the end. If you're thinking you'll want to sell it some day for more than you have in it (even without factoring in your time), you might as well cut your losses now. If you want to work on it because you find it fun, relaxing, or whatever, go for it.

Two things...

1) If you sell it you will regret it. MANY people wish they had kept their first car.

2) No matter what it's still a 47 year old car. They all have issues.

Keep it and fix it

I think that's it for now. Also, needs front and rear valances. I think I'd feel better if they made full quarters, door jambs and a rear truck filler above the valance. It appears they cut out the quarter and riveted and sheetmetal screwed it together.

It would seem more likely the old lady died rolling this car down a cliff.

Minor stuff in my book!

The car is not a BB factory car or a 340 car, so IMO you just have to search your feelings hard! Gets real expensive if you have the work done. If you are handy its no so bad "maybe". The more you uncover the more issues you may find!

What are your goals? Just want to drive a decent looking older car?

Value wise it is not worth big dollars so you have to weigh the options! Emotional value only goes so far, and once you start it is hard to stop and before you know it you have spent more than you can justify!

Went to wyotech, met a girl, got married, had kids, moved to CO, bought a house and had back surgery.

is the back surgery something that keeps you from working on this yourself?

kids must be in their early teens now, any of them interested in wrenching with their old man?

(just some things to consider)

if it were me, I would keep it
you could consider keeping the drivetrain and looking for another body to drop it into but it will NEVER be the same car...but most likely it will have the same issues

The good thing is new quarters, trunk extension, rear valance and inner and outer rockers are available to repair damage. The bad thing is AMD is not cheap. Do you have a welder and skills to hang new sheet metal? You say you have had back surgery. I have had back and a couple neck surgeries but I am also a lot older than you. I have a 67 fastback that is taking a long time due to pain and heart problems. I am not giving up on mine but it may never be finished by me. You might be able to find a cleaner body to start with but these cars are going on fifty years old. I can say you will never recoup the $ as its not a factory big block. If you plan to build it and pass it on to your kids I say go for it!

That doesn't look like that bad of a car. It needs a few small patches and will take some extra bodywork, but it's cleaner than a lot of cars out there. It's a lot cleaner than my Challenger. It has less rust then my GK6 GT, which was a California car it's whole life but still needs a roof skin because of a vinyl top.

Realistically, it would not be a walk in the park to find a car cleaner than that. They're out there for sure, but I'd say you're doing better than the average.

Back surgery was in 2010 and sidelined me for a while with complications. I'm about 85%. If I push it to hard it bothers me.
I'm mechanically inclined but not bodywork inclined. I welded my frame connectors in and channeled the cross member for the a500. I still have torque boxes and the rest of the uscartool chassis kit to do. I bought a used rotisserie and will finish the welding when I'm not laying so awkwardly.
Car will be a restomod, touring, driver. 408-a500-8 3/4 80% street, 18% canyons, dragstrip once a year and road course once a year.

Pic of trans tunnel, not welded

View attachment IMG_20150716_213752792.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150716_213810084.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150716_213817164.jpg

Thanks for the input so far. I try and base decisions on facts and logic. But this ones different, I just don't want my emotions or the sentimental value to cloud my judgement.

-
Back