When **** hits the fan

-
More pics before its tossed.

20190123_120620.jpg

20190123_120630.jpg

20190123_120705.jpg

So as I might have said.. I picked up another 360, '77 or '78, and had it honed to the next size. .. that was .020
They revised the kb356....I like it.
I bought a new throttle plate 'source of vac leak' as well. Got the EP black nitro exhaust valves and EP high flow intakes. Gonna mill the quench pad. Can see the polish marks but can't feel them. I'll weigh them and compare it to the advertised.

20200529_083442.jpg

20200529_083509.jpg

20200529_160945.jpg

20200529_160958.jpg

20200529_161002.jpg

I assume that's classified as a quench dome?

A loose throttle shaft has zero affect at WOT. Those pins look thin to me. I’m betting it failed a pin. Plus I didn’t see anything in the chambers that says lean.

A loose throttle shaft has zero affect at WOT. Those pins look thin to me. I’m betting it failed a pin. Plus I didn’t see anything in the chambers that says lean.
I like your pin idea, these look different than the old ones, none the less that's an area I was looking at for replacement trw 10.5's a while back. I did find a piece of cylinder wall that looked like it might have been cracked from the cooling jacked side and cycled dark brown for a while, as the rest was what you expect where fractured was -grey . Maybe the water jackets were rusted out from the PO -city truck. Shaft bushings were toast so new was inevitable. Tools to do'em and the time, not worth it to me atm... and the problem was the idle 'resetting' on it's own when the throttle shaft shifted over a hair. Annoying as ah.

Last edited:
No.5 upper rod bearing tell tale... detonation.
Blew piston ,wiped out the cylinder wall, bent the rod, windage tray, pan a tad... but the windage tray caught the brunt of the scattering....the rod hits the top of the bore and jammed it up if the chunk in the intermediate gear didnt....crank is tits, 6 pistons survived, one in bits... the other ...skirt broke off. Rubble in the pan, all the carnage you love to see just because it's interesting and rarely shared. Yeah I know... "where's the upper bearing shell ?" Well it's in the timing cover and I thought I snapped a pic but I didnt... so I'll go the garage in the morning and snap one of the upper no.5 rod bearing into copper. The 2 valves are junk... just the slightest, they were hung open from debris blowing through and spun 'tell was the roller wear marks were slanted while all others were in line front to back. More pics on the way.
My 318 did the same thing on the same 5 cylinder valve stem catched on the guide snapping stem from the base shattered hyper piston cracked cylinder in 5 places found stem in the exhaust pipe before the bend . Déja vu. You could make a cool coffee table and a story to tell !
View attachment 1715246979

View attachment 1715246980

View attachment 1715246981

View attachment 1715246982

View attachment 1715246983

View attachment 1715246984

View attachment 1715246985

View attachment 1715246986

View attachment 1715246987

View attachment 1715246988

There were so many thoughts at the time, I advanced the timing 2 more degrees into the known danger zone, I didnt use octane booster, I jetted down. I'll check that chamber cc again. The intake is leaner on those, I need to flow test it on the head and see what's going on there. I picked up spring tester for my drill press. Seems accurate so far , *I figure in the .094 hard washer*.eddy spring These are not off or for my motor. Just an example. Gonna test my k800's and see where they're at on that at cylinder and then the rest. This is a jegs tester. -75.00

20200528_161047.jpg

Last edited:
When I lost my first 340, the F'n pin pulled out the bottom of the piston. I'm thinking the pin lost lube and seized up in there and just torqued itself out. I developed a knock and pulled over. stopped the car, restarted and it was very bad sounding. called the tow truck and got it home, tore it down and found the piston flopping around in there with no skirts left. Floater pins and all? That's some good 'faces of death' motor pics.

Is the non quench dome deck at 0.0 deck or where is it?
what gaskets are you considering thicknesses?
are your head chambers equal depth at each end? equal cc's each end and centers (you cut for largest and open up the smaller ones till all are equal)

Is the non quench dome deck at 0.0 deck or where is it?
what gaskets are you considering thicknesses?
are your head chambers equal depth at each end? equal cc's each end and centers (you cut for largest and open up the smaller ones till all are equal)
The other version is zero deck at quench head.
Heads .030 deep, all the same. I milled the pistons different amounts to even account for the couple thousandths diff in rod lengths.

They all cranked the same.
Could have been a fractured wall, from the cooling jacket or pin seized. Remember the pin is stuck in the rod and ends broken off. Maybe a spiro lock gave up. Gueses.

Last edited:
No, that's just the way they are valve clearanced and the lighting.

All rings were gapped the same, .032 top ring.

All pistons except no.5 are cherry.
sorry to hear no.5 was a cherry bomb , good reaction shutting down so fast . lessened the dammage for sure

Pistons are 501'ish grams, pins 114-114.5
About 615-616 total piston pin weight.

The older version of this piston had a trough for the valve reliefs and weighed 496 grams, this one is more standardized with fly cuts.

-
Back