When to adjust valves? oil change? On recent motor.

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 hours and couple hundred of miles on my 512 ci RB. We have had it up to 100 mph and hard takeoffs as well as cruising around town.. It has solid lifters. Cam specs are.

From Ken Heard of Oregon cams.
244/252 @ .050”, 282/290 adv, .516”/.537” lift(1.5:1 rocker), 112 sep, .016”/.018” lash

This is a very good street/strip grind that should make power from 2200/6400 or so. Will need a 3000+ converter and will work well with your compression ratio. Normally I would put this on a 110 lobe separation but with the nitrous and fuel injection I think 112 to 114 would work better.
The heads are trickflow 240s.

When is the time to recheck the valve lash? After a number of miles or time or what use(races). This will be used as a street car but also run on the track for fun.
While I am at it. What about second oil change?. I did the first after break-in a couple hundred miles ago.

When you changed the break in oil, did you cut the filter open & see if there was any trash in the filter? You might want to do that, just for peace of mind. As far as adjusting the valves, it might be to you advantage to run them every once in a while just so you know they are still within spec. If it were mine, after I made a couple of hard passes at the strip, I would run them.

No trash in the first filter. All good then.

I have about 20 hours and couple hundred of miles on my 512 ci RB. We have had it up to 100 mph and hard takeoffs as well as cruising around town.. It has solid lifters. Cam specs are.

From Ken Heard of Oregon cams.
244/252 @ .050”, 282/290 adv, .516”/.537” lift(1.5:1 rocker), 112 sep, .016”/.018” lash

This is a very good street/strip grind that should make power from 2200/6400 or so. Will need a 3000+ converter and will work well with your compression ratio. Normally I would put this on a 110 lobe separation but with the nitrous and fuel injection I think 112 to 114 would work better.
The heads are trickflow 240s.

When is the time to recheck the valve lash? After a number of miles or time or what use(races). This will be used as a street car but also run on the track for fun.
While I am at it. What about second oil change?. I did the first after break-in a couple hundred miles ago.

I have about 1500 miles on my 493" motor after making some changes and freshening it up. Its had 3 oil and filter changes n that time. I also run a Jomar 100% no bypass oil filter on it, and nothing significant was in any of them after cutting them open.

I've checked my valves 6 times since start up to verify everything is staying put. I had to snug 2 of them up as they were a couple thousandths loose on the last check. I could actually here them making a touch more noise, and watch them carefully, as I am running bushed axle solid rollers. I use the go-no go gauge method to verify my feeler gauge drag while adjusting. The rest are staying as set.

I will now adjust them at oil & filter change, which is when I grease the front end with the front wheels hanging to better fill the lower ball joints.

I used to worry and worry about adjusting valves !! After wearing out valve cover gaskets and wasting a lot of time. I figured out the valves will let me know when they need to be adjusted !! And it was pretty amazing really cause they didn’t need no where near as much adjusting as I was giving them lol !! Long story short .. When you hear valve train noise adjust which ever cylinder it is ! Rock on down the road !!

-
Back