When was electronic ignition introduced?

-
Maybe there was a time frame. Is yours a early build? I had 2 different 71 340's and a friend had a 71 Demon 340 and all of our stuff were electronics. I still have the one 71 340 I'll check the block to see the cast date and see if I can get the dist. # if that helps anyone. And your cuda burning rubber is just too cool.

Some late 71's had electronics, not really sure of the cut off date. Sure I can figure it out though,

I also have a number of dual point dist. and I can rebuild them and run them up on my dist. machine (which I'll have to dust off) if anyone needs this kind of stuff.

Man I sure wish I had hair like that, or as a matter of fact I wish I had any hair.:lol:

I also have a 71 Charger R/T electronic ing.! ?? I did change it to a tach drive back in the day. And way back yesteryear I had a 71 roadrunner with the 340 and it had the elec. ing. All I can say is what I've seen and experienced. Now all my earlier 340's and 273 hipo had the dual point. I'm not saying what's right or wrong just info for the crowd. Thanks for hearing me out and no disrespect to anyone.

I have seen them also pretty sure they were factory equipped. All my distribs that are electronic are 72 and up dates. Have to ask Barry he would have the documentation on them if anyone.
@Alaskan_TA

Last edited:
There's a great discussion about this in a wanted thread. Let me see if I can move some posts from there to here.

It was introduced in 72 on certain models. I had a 71 340 auto that had points. Actually just 1 set of points.

If talking about Chrysler Electronic, 1972 in 340 cars only.Now I have heard of late 71 340 cars but have no proof of that.

I always heard that the electronic ignition came out in 73 across the board, but have heard about some earlier models that came with it from the factory...

THere we go. When I moved the posts from the wanted ad it created a new thread. I merged the one I started initially. There are some links above with a factory bulletin.

My '72 Chrysler parts manual shows some engines 318, 340, 400, and 440 came with electronic and w/o.

May 6 1971 but a running change for 340 manual transmissions. Thanks for that info.

Pretty sure it was "some" in 72. I bought a low miles 71 340 in a junk yard, back "then" and swapped it into my 70 RR. It had a Prestolite dual point, which I still may have.......somewhere. The 72 shop manual wiring diagrams depict both breaker points and treat the electronic in a separate diagram......as if it were an option. The C barge seems to show it native, the diagram for the Val shows points

-
Back