When was electronic ignition introduced?

-
Thanks Barry all my books show points then electronic mid 72 is the switch.

Some late 71's had electronics, not really sure of the cut off date. Sure I can figure it out though,

This. ^^^^^ Halfway through the 71 model year you started seeing it.

'72 RR 440 auto, enlarged scan of a cheap instamatic picture taken in '78...…..
upload_2020-4-5_14-27-13.png

the old '71 Challenger dual point...…..
upload_2020-4-5_14-32-8.png

Electronic Ign. bulletin provided by Alaskan_Ta above.

Electronic ign.jpg

If talking about Chrysler Electronic, 1972 in 340 cars only.Now I have heard of late 71 340 cars but have no proof of that.
Now here's proff.
Trust me I was doing dist work for everyone in the hood before it came out. When I started working on cars the alternator was the newest thing out. Seriously. I can still remember when my boss and I seen our first set of disc brakes. Ya old but still racing & wrenching. Right now I going to check the engine date on my 71 340 motor and the build date on my charger. Be right back.

Pretty sure it was "some" in 72. I bought a low miles 71 340 in a junk yard, back "then" and swapped it into my 70 RR. It had a Prestolite dual point, which I still may have.......somewhere. The 72 shop manual wiring diagrams depict both breaker points and treat the electronic in a separate diagram......as if it were an option. The C barge seems to show it native, the diagram for the Val shows points

Stephanie's 72 Swinger 318 came with electronic, but I don't currently know the build month.

Can't get to the 340 as it hasn't moved in 26 years but unfortunately the intake and dist. are removed. I don't even remember removing them. They might be somewhere? The charger build date is 3-71. You guys have to remember I lived and worked in Chrysler land and (maybe?) some stuff were put on the road for testing, customers beware. I'll work on getting to the 340 but not today. lol pic following.

Now here's proff.
Trust me I was doing dist work for everyone in the hood before it came out. When I started working on cars the alternator was the newest thing out. Seriously. I can still remember when my boss and I seen our first set of disc brakes. Ya old but still racing & wrenching. Right now I going to check the engine date on my 71 340 motor and the build date on my charger. Be right back.

DDD03B68-EA3B-4CE9-AD94-933C58C818FA.jpeg

0306EAE2-9E90-4D5F-9FA9-631CB80395A5.jpeg

Hey I just found a good old 66 book if anyone needs info on a 66. I was looking for 71 stuff. Chrysler info dated Jan. 1966.

-
Back