When you pay $1200 for an AAR hood, you expect more from Stinger Fiberglass

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To me, $1200 is a lot of money. So when I bought my AAR fiberglass hood, I expected it to arrive packed carefully in order to ensure a safe transit. Not the case. This is what you get with Stinger Fiberglass, along with chipped corners. Gee, who woulda guessed one piece of cardboard staples against another piece of cardboard wouldn’t hold up to a 2000 mile trip being tossed around by freighters?

5590CD52-9BEA-4284-BE78-C63EC039516E.jpeg
6B901008-33D0-41B9-A872-C4B1562AA3D4.jpeg
35B948AB-B0D6-4D00-8D8B-93E6283BF317.jpeg
E9D37EEC-C2F2-4D58-B79A-24815ABE23E7.jpeg

To me, $1200 is a lot of money. So when I bought my AAR fiberglass hood, I expected it to arrive packed carefully in order to ensure a safe transit. Not the case. This is what you get with Stinger Fiberglass, along with chipped corners. Gee, who woulda guessed one piece of cardboard staples against another piece of cardboard wouldn’t hold up to a 2000 mile trip being tossed around by freighters?

View attachment 1715840936 View attachment 1715840937 View attachment 1715840938 View attachment 1715840939
File shipping claim.

and next time, use Glastek . They’re stuff is packaged with enough cardboard and padding to stop a bullet

I did file a claim. I called Stinger, they said to contact Old Dominion. Did that, Old Dominion said to contact Stinger. Finally talked to who I think is the owner of Stinger, and he said the damage was minor enough that I could fix it on my own and that doing that would be easier than going through the hassle of re-packing and returning, which he wasn’t wrong about. During that same phone call, he also acknowledged that shippers are pretty rough with packages. If you know that, why not protect your product???

Anyway, this was a few weeks ago, and I thought long and hard about sharing with the membership, especially considering I decided to do the repairs myself as opposed to returning.

That stinks. I bought mine years ago when they were just AAR Fiberglass. They sure went up in price too!
If you bought it with a credit card there may be something they can do about charging it off.

That stinks. I bought mine years ago when they were just AAR Fiberglass. They sure went up in price too!
If you bought it with a credit card there may be something they can do about charging it off.
Live and learn. Back in the day when I was a “spicier” fella, they’d be getting the hood back for sure. Mostly out of spite.

Did he offer to pay for your time? That’s extremely terrible customer service!

I asked about that, he again went back to how easy it would be to just putty up the corners. And again, he’s not wrong. It’s a super simple fix, but it’s the principle and how he handled it that’s bothering me.

He should at least offer to discount what you paid for the hood. They did a crap job packing. Call him back and tell him to make it right or you’ll make him and his business famous.

Report him to the BBB. Believe it or not, that’s how I finally got the travel insurance agency to finally honor my policy

you can also report him to the state business licensing division if you really wanna push it

He should at least offer to discount what you paid for the hood. They did a crap job packing. Call him back and tell him to make it right or you’ll make him and his business famous.
That’s a good idea, I might call them back.

Report him to the BBB. Believe it or not, that’s how I finally got the travel insurance agency to finally honor my policy

you can also report him to the state business licensing division if you really wanna push it
I wouldn’t feel right taking it that far without at least contacting them again. I’m actually conflicted just posting what I did, but I feel potential customers should know.

I wouldn’t feel right taking it that far without at least contacting them again. I’m actually conflicted just posting what I did, but I feel potential customers should know.

Why not?

This is an integral part of his business
Specially after he made the statement that shippers are rough

He knew, he just didn't care

I wouldn't have touched it until they agreed to some type of compensation. If not, the credit card company would be getting a call.

Why not?

This is an integral part of his business
Specially after he made the statement that shippers are rough

He knew, he just didn't care
Because he didn’t outright refuse to take it back, he just made a very strong argument that it would be easier for everyone if I repaired it myself.

I did file a claim. I called Stinger, they said to contact Old Dominion. Did that, Old Dominion said to contact Stinger. Finally talked to who I think is the owner of Stinger, and he said the damage was minor enough that I could fix it on my own and that doing that would be easier than going through the hassle of re-packing and returning, which he wasn’t wrong about. During that same phone call, he also acknowledged that shippers are pretty rough with packages. If you know that, why not protect your product???

Anyway, this was a few weeks ago, and I thought long and hard about sharing with the membership, especially considering I decided to do the repairs myself as opposed to returning.
Rightly said..though it is a pain in the ***...you paid for 'new' and not FUOA=fkd up on arrival. I'd send it back and and enlighten the motherfkr that foam corner blocks exist and he can promptly refund ALL my money because that hood is lame anyways , no knock on your taste... but not worth 1200 imo.

That should have been cornered in 6" of closed foam, that stuff can take some licks. I wouldnt think UPS would ship something like that, maybe truck freight or pick up at a depot.

I wouldn't have touched it until they agreed to some type of compensation. If not, the credit card company would be getting a call.
I’m too mellow nowadays. You gotta try real hard to piss me off enough to make me spend that much time going back n forth. If you guys knew me back when…

Let me see if I understand this right. He has suggested 1- you fix it yourself 2-he has not offered any compensation for you fixing it yourself 3- he has not offered you any portion of a refund off the amount you paid 4- your thinking this is OK? What the hell is wrong with you?

Let me see if I understand this right. He has suggested 1- you fix it yourself 2-he has not offered any compensation for you fixing it yourself 3- he has not offered you any portion of a refund off the amount you paid 4- your thinking this is OK? What the hell is wrong with you?
You know what, this thread has actually helped me come to my senses. Initially my logic was that I’m so busy and limited on time that it wouldn’t be worth it to send it back. But, the fact that I’m so limited on time is exactly the reason I shouldn’t have to deal with this crap.

You know what, this thread has actually helped me come to my senses. Initially my logic was that I’m so busy and limited on time that it wouldn’t be worth it to send it back. But, the fact that I’m so limited on time is exactly the reason I shouldn’t have to deal with this crap.
Right! That's a boat load of dough to fork out for some bullshit.

I'm assuming you didn't have a chance to inspect when freight dropped it off? If so, I would have refused it right off the truck. I've done that many times with sheet metal shipped truck freight. It's a pain in EVERYONE'S ***, but, sends a message to the company shipping. Especially, AMD. I refused a 70 Cuda decklid. Same as you. Only it was metal corners boogered up. Ironic that the next one was packaged differently. Anyway, I think complacency has made it too easy to get fucked on the back end.

-
Back