Where are the a bodies going

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I've been looking for a nice clean duster, dart, scamp for a while now. There hasn't been a mopar on craigslist in Missouri for a long time now. I don't have the resources and time to travel to check out cars that's why I've been looking in the area where I live. There's not much of anything out there, is the classic car market drying up?

I can answer that and it has nothing to do with "supply." The stupid, the sheeple, have followed Mark ZuckerPhlake to Phlakebook Marketpharce. So the C/L listings are greatly reduced in ALL categories. Worse, the search engine on Marketpharce just plain DOES NOT WORK. I have a "phake account" so I can log into and search Marketphake. It cannot even differentiate between the key word "Mopar" and the ridiculous results from "every other car brand" and results NOT having to do with vehicles at all. To sum up, FaceBook Marketplace SUCKS

Well, they're not making any more of them, and natural attrition dictates that there's fewer every year.
It's becoming more and more of a selective market, so the more common sources i.e. classified ads (dead), CL, FB, etc. don't turn up much- younger people just don't have the interest. The further south you go, the more likely you are to find surviving clean examples. Sources like EBay & Kijiji seem to attract the dreamers and specialty car dealers, so prices are ridiculous there. So that leaves networking- going to swap meets, shows, cruise-ins and the like- join the local car club,(preferably a Mopar, but any port in a storm) and get to know the members- they'll know every car within a couple hundred miles. Doesn't hurt to know people at the local boneyards, either; if you're open to a project. Sometimes stuff still comes in, and if they know you're looking...
Don't give up, they're still out there. But in my case, it's always "that other guy" that finds them. :)

There is one right around the corner from where you live..... It's there somewhere. Network, network, network. Dragstrips are still watering holes for those who have a thirst for cars. Car guys know where cars are at. But time is never kind to anyone so as the years pass there will be less.....

Timing, position, and patience. Discipline yourself to find a car and there will be one for you. Always has been and always will be.....

JW

Well, they're not making any more of them, and natural attrition dictates that there's fewer every year.
It's becoming more and more of a selective market, so the more common sources i.e. classified ads (dead), CL, FB, etc. don't turn up much- younger people just don't have the interest. The further south you go, the more likely you are to find surviving clean examples. Sources like EBay & Kijiji seem to attract the dreamers and specialty car dealers, so prices are ridiculous there. So that leaves networking- going to swap meets, shows, cruise-ins and the like- join the local car club,(preferably a Mopar, but any port in a storm) and get to know the members- they'll know every car within a couple hundred miles. Doesn't hurt to know people at the local boneyards, either; if you're open to a project. Sometimes stuff still comes in, and if they know you're looking...
Don't give up, they're still out there. But in my case, it's always "that other guy" that finds them. :)
I don't have the resources for a project car. Body and the paint job has to be already done. I don't mind a little interior or engine work. I'm not giving up but I may have to hire someone to check out a car for me if it's outside of Missouri.

Facebook does seem to have gobbled up most of the local Plymouth and Dodge listings. I agree with 67Dart273. Marketplace is awful and makes all sorts of useless items and unrelated cars populate the feed.

It’s all based on your data and what they think you might also be interested in.

Stating the obvious, they don't make them anymore. Many have been parted out, and many are on drag strips, many are restored, and just a small few yet to be discovered. Here in the rust belt, they are almost impossible to find in "patina" condition. However, ones already "fixed up and ready to go" are available, but you may have to travel an hour or 3 and pay the price.

I don't have the resources for a project car. Body and the paint job has to be already done. I don't mind a little interior or engine work. I'm not giving up but I may have to hire someone to check out a car for me if it's outside of Missouri.

There aren't really many adds on Craigslist anymore, as posted above you have to look at Facebook market place. I still search daily for good deals, praying one day a car to good to be true pops up for sale.

Where in Missouri are you? I'm in Springfield and there are a couple of clean darts for sale... one is a 2 owner /6 dart swinger with 66k original miles.

I've been busy with work and haven't been on FABO as much as I'd like to be. But I don't mind trying to help locate some cars...

The drag strip is a great idea as well as the local car cruises and shows.

Screenshot_20211015-185106_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185216_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185219_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185232_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185325_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185332_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-185504_Facebook.jpg

The only cars on Craigslist anymore are dealers and from Sherman Texas. The fee system they went to chased all the average Joes away. And like @67Dart273 said, effed up marketplace is a search engine disaster.

Gettin more popular. People buyin um up.

Put up a wanted ad here - this is where a lot of the A-body owners are and many folks have project cars stacked up that they will never get to. They might be willing to see one go to someone who will do the project - like you!

Done A bodies are not rally cheap these days. They get higher all the time;
FM Marketplace searh engine sucks like said!
I have a guy in Pa driving 22 hrs one way from Pa to Tx to buy a 62 B body project this AM. What does that say?
Put a wanted add here and also on the FB A body sites.
Network your local Mopar guys!

And most A bodies are rusty piles and got scraped. Back in 70 they were disposable cars just like today's Especially up here in the rust belt they were rusty already 5 years after being bought new just the cold hard truth and like everyone else says no one can afford B/E body prices so next best thing is A body and everyone is buying them up to sit on them and part them out

I'm in the KC area, and I see them on CL. Not sure what OP is missing.

It ain't like the old days, and never will be, but they're there. Lotsa hipster trash buying them up right now.

Almost every part or car I see on my wife's Facebook is on Craigslist as well people are trying to sell stuff and either one has flaky and nice people...
Looking for a car with a straight body and paint work done already has you in the 8 to 10,000 range.... And as far as resources go even I had to rent a U-Haul trailer and truck at the time I bought my duster for the 2-hour drive... And that was for a car under $2,000...
Really I'm questioning what you're beginning budget here is... And how much your figures are to have a complete car?... People get into this thinking they're going to find a five or $800 car and tinker it together for a few hundred dollars and that's just a pipe dream... There's a lot of motivation needed to restore one of these cars... For the majority it's better to save the money and buy one done...

Last A body I sold was here in SE Tx about 3 years ago I had it advertised on FABO, FB Marketplace, and CL. Running/driving '71 Duster 3 on the floor slant car. Good interior. PO had the front bench redone. All rust work was done, primed and close to final block/topcoat. New tires/brakes. I advertised it at $3500 and had 2 lookers. The guy that bought it drove 4 hrs here and said it was the best Duster for the $ on there. First looker offered $3000. He was a flipper. I bought it right, worked for nothing, and IF I had priced it higher, I would not have sold it. Yes they are selling for more $$ now I admit. 3 years ago was not that long past. But Tx is pretty much GM and pickup land.
I have not seen very many Dusters on there that were not partially parted out, rusted out POS since. Good Mopar projects are getting harder to find and the ask price is nuts.
I look at the price of a project, add up the costs of parts and materials, with me doing the work, and look at what that car will actually sell for done. And done is not a 100 point job by a $80/hr resto company. Thats another animal.
The project always figure to be priced way too high!!

There aren't really many adds on Craigslist anymore, as posted above you have to look at Facebook market place. I still search daily for good deals, praying one day a car to good to be true pops up for sale.

Where in Missouri are you? I'm in Springfield and there are a couple of clean darts for sale... one is a 2 owner /6 dart swinger with 66k original miles.

I've been busy with work and haven't been on FABO as much as I'd like to be. But I don't mind trying to help locate some cars...

The drag strip is a great idea as well as the local car cruises and shows.

View attachment 1715806057

View attachment 1715806058

View attachment 1715806059

View attachment 1715806060

View attachment 1715806061

View attachment 1715806062

View attachment 1715806063
I like the blue dart, a 1970?. Is it a v8,ps,ac car? How much is it .I'm in truxton mo

Cars being parted out, TV shows pushing classic cars as "cool", cars being sold and shipped overseas to rich dudes from other countries. yes American cars, and heavy metal music are still popular in in some parts of the whirl, its like its the 80s all over again...LOL! Does anyone else remember when Mopars werent cool? whern noone wanted them and if you drove nre you were "a glutton for wrenching punishment"? I remember in High school people drove chevies there were a few mustangs and 289/302 falcons, but Moapr? not many if there was one it was a cool 10 year old 75 or 6 Duster still in decent shape. A guy in school had a 71 Charger super bee, but it was beat in primer with a 400 in it. No girl wanted to ride in it because it was ratty LOL! back in the mid eighties you could score a Mopar for 100 or 200 bucks, sometimes running also....

Last edited:
How many here have numerous cars? I have 2. Someday (may be soon) I will sell the 2 and look for a early B body just for fun and do to the fact I have never owned one. A wanted ad here might be your best bet like @str12-340 mentioned.

I have a few cars but they aren't all Mopar. In my life I've owned 3 Mopars, a 69 Coronet 500, a 70 slant duster and my 70 swinger 340

Cars being parted out, TV shows pushing classic cars as "cool", cars being sold and shipped overseas to rich dudes from other countries. yes American cars, and heavy metal music are still popular in in some parts of the whirl, its like its the 80s all over again...LOL! Does anyone else remember when Mopars werent cool? whern noone wanted them and if you drove nre you were "a glutton for wrenching punishment"? I remember in High school people drove chevies there were a few mustangs and 289/302 falcons, but Moapr? not many if there was one it was a cool 10 year old 75 or 6 Duster still in decent shape. A guy in school had a 71 Charger super bee, but it was beat in primer with a 400 in it. No girl wanted to ride in it because it was ratty LOL! back in the mid eighties you could score a Mopar for 100 or 200 bucks, sometimes running also....
When I was in high school the guy's with the Camaro's and Mustangs had car loads of girls. All pre 70's vintage cars.
It only took one to get in my 67 Fastback, she learned how to drive in it and became terror of the street.
She became my wife and we've been married 38 years and she's still a terror. lol

How many here have numerous cars? I have 2. Someday (may be soon) I will sell the 2 and look for a early B body just for fun and do to the fact I have never owned one. A wanted ad here might be your best bet like @str12-340 mentioned.
Ive got 67 coronet rt 70 duster 71 duster 67 vip Plymouth fury fastop and 68 Monaco fasttop

-
Back