Where can I find this grille for my Dart Sport?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
My '73 (318 powered) Dart Sport has the unpainted grille but I have always loved the black one like the gorgeous car in the attached (borrowed) picture.

Can anyone point to a source to this part?

If they're hard to come by, would it be possible to replicate this part by masking/painting a stanard grille?

Thanks for any tips. :)

Attachments

• dodge-dart-gt-sport-01.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 296
i have never heard of two separate grills for any year of dart sport .....that is a painted regular grille .....i dont think it left the factory like that, but it was definately painted in good taste .....looks great:cheers:

I have a stock silver grille but it will need work and of course paint. If you want to rebuild the grille you have, find a sand blaster and set it to the lowest setting and get quite a ways back to "sprinkle" the blast on to the grille, this will strip the paint and not cause any damage to the grille, then primer and paint, put everything back on and there you go.

That is a stock grill blacked out and painted. My brother just bought a Dart Sport with a completely blacked out grill. He took a silver paint pen and drew those exact lines on his. He also has yellow lens tape inside the turn signal lenses. It looks awesome.

you already have it-- get out the paint & tape & show us the results!!, looks good. Lawrence

That is a stock grill blacked out and painted. My brother just bought a Dart Sport with a completely blacked out grill. He took a silver paint pen and drew those exact lines on his. He also has yellow lens tape inside the turn signal lenses. It looks awesome.

Mopar, any chance you can shoot a pic of his grille? I'd like to check that out.

Edit: Oh I guess I should have kept reading....

Mopar, any chance you can shoot a pic of his grille? I'd like to check that out.

Edit: Oh I guess I should have kept reading....

I will tonight. We are meeting at American Motorsports for the Hot Rod Humpday car show. Very small, but kind of cool.

Thanks, guys! Great info.
I always assumed this must have been an option or something exclusive to 340 cars. It definitley brings the look of the 73+ Darts in line with the high-po machines from eariler model years.

So I'd definitely buy a second one before painting. My policy for my Dart is that any mod has to be reversible...and screwing up and ruining the perfectly good stock grille would be tragic. :)

J4R3D,
I'll send you a PM.

Well, it's not a Duster but its a grille painted at home.

I went with 3 coats of primer, sanded it back and then applied gloss black from a spray can, a least 6-7 coats 15-20 minutes apart if I remember we'll. And masked all the shiny bits very carefully.

My tip would be to remove the grilled and take your time to prep it well. And use proper blue tape for the sharp lines, masking tape will not give you perfect edges.

Cheers!

View attachment image-454588132.jpg

I painted my '70 grill and used thin tape from a full service hobby shop. It came in two widths. One was the exact thickness of the lines I had to mask. It was really nice for taping around curves because it was thin and flexible and it gave very sharp edges. Really sealed nice. I used it on the curved edges and then wider tape to fill.

Attachments

• grill detail.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 108
-
Back