Where did you guys find your 8 3/4's?

-
Damn, you guys are smooth! :) I went from 0 options to about 10 in two days! Thanks a lot guys!

I'm almost afraid to ask, but if I did choose to build this piece by piece, what parts would I all bed to make it complete? Housing, Suregrip, gears, axles, bearings, and.... ?

The Suregrip itself is about $500.00, right??

Thanks!

It's about $500 new. You can usually find a used one for less.

Also, don't hesitate to post wanted ads on Craigslist, too. I've gotten some crazy awesome deals from people responding to wanted ads.

Man I had no idea how hard these things are getting to find! My car came with an 8 3/4 as it's an original 340 car. I did , however manage to kill my 4.30 third member an I was shocked to find that used ones are going for $500.00! I replaced the 4.30s with 3.55s and did the big bolt patern/super stock springs and B body 10 inch shoes(wider than a body). The only way to do it is to bite the bullet and loosen the wallet.

How big differnce is it between 3:21 gears and 3:55? Or would going to 3:90 gears be more of a benefit if I have 3:21 gears already?

I got mine off of Craigslist. Wasn't really looking for one then, but I knew I was going to need one and it was a great price. I paid $300 drum to drum, sbp, 742 case open 2.76 gears. I think the seller was limelite. It came out of a '72 Duster Twister 318 auto. It wasn't even all crusty & still has some of its factory markings on it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 135
After seeing this thread this morning,I punched in "Rear end" in my local C list just for ***** and giggles.
Found (what I believe) is a B-body 8 3/4 with a 489 case and a 3.55 tag.
Got it for $30.00....He was a Chevy guy who picked it up out of a field. Im not even in the market for a rear. This will show you what can done.

Next up....Open it up to find that sought after Sure-Grip !!!!!

PS: Who are all these Posi guys ?

It's usually because you get more cash for the parts seperate than together. Find a guy whose parting a car and go for the axle. It will be cheapre that way unless the one you buy is beat.

Found mine on craigslist. Lady was upset with her son. Sold every car part he had laying around. Just happened to be an A body 8.75. Snagged it for $75.00

wow! Sometimes you get lucky. (or unlucky, like her son, heh heh).

I got mine from Kijij 300 bucks drum to drum 489 case with 323 open tho:sad7:I would of like 355 for gears.

Years ago a guy stopped at my house when he drove by and saw the nose of my Dart peeking out from a car tent in my driveway. He said he knows an older couple who's son built a 69 Dart way back, and left all his extra parts in their yard. I went there with $400, and took away about $3000 worth of stuff, including an A body 8 3/4, a couple 8 1/4, a 7 1/4, a 318, a bunch of F body interior parts, some E body interior parts, a bunch of grilles, Chrome rims, etc. These people were rough too, this place was down in the bogs, they lived in a trailer, and I had to crawl under it in the mud to grab some of the parts.

No snakes, but huge creepy *** spiders! Spiders I've never seen before. They came crawling out of the exhaust ports on the 318 when we loaded the engine, and one crawled on my cousins arm while he was steadying the engine. He panicked, threw the spider down, and as he went to step on it, it must have rubbed its legs together or something, because it screeched at him! Blech!!

I picked up a 68 Newport rear today for $80. It has a 742 case and 11" drum brakes. I also got the shock plates and U-bolts.

-
Back