Where is the rotor on a 440 supposed to point when at TDC on no. 1?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Is the distributor rotor on an RB engine supposed to point in a particular direction when the engine is firing no. 1 cylinder?

I just replaced my timing set. I think the plug wires had been previously moved to compensate for chain slack.

The rotor is now pointed toward no. 2 cylinder (the previous cylinder in the firing order) when the engine should be firing no. 1 cylinder. In other words, the rotor is pointing almost toward the front of the right cylinder head, rather than toward the alternator, as it apparently did before.

Is it OK to just move the plug wires around by one cylinder, or is that too redneck? Should I pull the distributor instead, point the rotor some particular way, and then re-do the plug wires?

Thanks again, all.

Look up the factory service manual page, on the internet, for the proper phasing of the distributor oil pump shaft, and distributor itself.
Everything you need to know.

FWIW...……..
DistAlign.jpg

* Some aftermarket distributors have the key/lug to rotor indexed differently.
You can compensate by moving the wires around the cap or re-indexing the intermediate shaft.

Yes, but there are other things to consider.
If you just plunk in the intermediate shaft/gear and distributor, you may end up with a distributor that has its vacuum canister up against the valve cover or end up between heater hoses somewhere, making it hard/impossible to properly set the timing.

By aligning the slot in the intermediate shaft in line with the engine/crankshaft, you make sure everything goes together as designed.

Like ?Bulldozer said, it can point anywhere as long as it number 1. Cylinder on tdc...

that's exactly how I break in every engine I've put together , I've never had one point straight down tho....

Like ?Bulldozer said, it can point anywhere as long as it number 1. Cylinder on tdc...

Important note, guys! IF you replace timing set, and the marks on cam gear and crank gear are 'in-line' and closest to each other, BOTH no. 1 and no. 6 pistons are at highest point in cylinders.
However, no. 6 will be in firing position - - not no.1

Important note, guys! IF you replace timing set, and the marks on cam gear and crank gear are 'in-line' and closest to each other, BOTH no. 1 and no. 6 pistons are at highest point in cylinders.
However, no. 6 will be in firing position - - not no.1

LOL!!! This is especially annoying on a B/RB before you "know" this because it's easy to set the dist. in before the cam gets "covered up" and when you try and fire it you get BALLS OF FIRE!!

-
Back