Where should I be with my timing??

-

440seven

Reaction score
So I've recently made the switch over to fuel injection and everything was great. I then made the switch to use the full gamut of the sniper system to add Timing control. I'm now a little curious as to where I might get the best results with my timing since I can control it so easily.
The sniper's default settings are: 15 initial, 36 total cruise, 32 total WOT.

My engine specs:
440, lunati 60303 (.494/.513 lift, 110 lsa, 268/276 dur.) 9.8/1 compression. sidewinder ported heads,

Now, while yes I'm looking for numbers here, I'm more wanting to know the how and why OR how to find this out for myself what timing works best in my application. I can do alot of things with my car and figure things out, but for some reason, timing seems to completely fog my mind.

As always thanks for the help guys.

And learn to read plugs and look for detonation. "The internet' used to have articles guys were experimenting adding knock sensors. They are basically a microphone. Some guys were actually 'monitoring" them with HEADPHONES LOL

Just buy a GM knock sensor for a 90's car, screw them into your block drains on the side of the block. Hook up a A/C volt meter to them and when it predetonates It will produce a voltage you can see. The way we tested them was to put a fluke meter on the knock sensor and tap the engine with a hammer and you would see the voltage.

I apologize for the slight thread-jack, but at least I'll still be in the topic of knock sensors.
@67Dart273 , @brian6pac , I've spent months scouring the internet for information regarding installing a knock sensor in an older SBM, and I'm pretty sure I've clicked every link there is to click, read every thread there is to read... 10 times over. So trust me, I've done my research. But now I come to you two because you're the two that have come the closest to answering my question and I often see your names in knock-sensor-related threads. The question is, WHERE do I install the sensor? Ideally that would be in the block, close to the head. But my '77 360 doesn't give me that option unless I drill into the block, which I'm not gonna do. So the block drains on the side seem like the 2nd best option... except they're pipe threads! So it's not like I can buy a longer bolt to account for the sensor. That tapered short stubby bolt is all I get, and it doesn't leave enough room to secure a sensor AND seal the drain.
Again, sorry for posting here, I'm just a little desperate. Thank you!

The 90's GM knock sensor is a 1/4" NPT so you can thread them into the block drains on the side of the blocks. That is where GM put them.

I apologize for the slight thread-jack, but at least I'll still be in the topic of knock sensors.
@67Dart273 , @brian6pac , I've spent months scouring the internet for information regarding installing a knock sensor in an older SBM, and I'm pretty sure I've clicked every link there is to click, read every thread there is to read... 10 times over. So trust me, I've done my research. But now I come to you two because you're the two that have come the closest to answering my question and I often see your names in knock-sensor-related threads. The question is, WHERE do I install the sensor? Ideally that would be in the block, close to the head. But my '77 360 doesn't give me that option unless I drill into the block, which I'm not gonna do. So the block drains on the side seem like the 2nd best option... except they're pipe threads! So it's not like I can buy a longer bolt to account for the sensor. That tapered short stubby bolt is all I get, and it doesn't leave enough room to secure a sensor AND seal the drain.
Again, sorry for posting here, I'm just a little desperate. Thank you!

Also a quick Google shows some sensors use through-bolts which might give you more options. Maybe one of the block tappings I don't know if it would be sensitive enough on a head or not

aftermarket knock sensor - Google Search

Also a quick Google shows some sensors use through-bolts which might give you more options. Maybe one of the block tappings I don't know if it would be sensitive enough on a head or not

aftermarket knock sensor - Google Search

Right, this is what I was leaning towards. The Bosch style. I was going to purchase a KnockLink G4, which I know from experience (with more modern boosted applications) is a good product, and it uses that type of sensor with a through-bolt. Like I said, I HAVE done much more than a quick Google search, and found a plethora of sensors - that's not the problem. The problem is WHERE TO INSTALL IT. No quick Google search answers that. A head tapping would not be recommended in my case because I'm running solid lifters with lots of valvetrain noise. There are no additional block tappings.

@brian6pac , that is an awesome idea, I did not realize those GM sensors were actually a 1/4" NPT! When I get off work today I'll try to find a product that can talk to them and interpret the data (like a dash light of some sort). Maybe even the KnockLink G4, IF it can receive data from those GM sensors, I'm golden. Thank you!

-
Back