Where to buy drum brakes kit

-

Rakers_SS

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have an 8 3/4 in my 71 duster and need to replace the rear drums, I have 11" brakes but seem to be having some trouble finding a kit to redo the brakes. Does anyone have any links to parts they've used? I shouldn't need the drums as I think those can just be turned, I just need the shoes, springs, etc. If there is a kit with the drums for a reasonable price I wouldn't be opposed to that either. Thanks!

Check with your local parts store. NAPA, O Reillys, Advance Auto. Rockauto probably has what you need as well as Classic Industries.

Did you check RockAuto? I recently did the drums, shoes and hardware. Mine was for a 10” setup but, they should have shoes, adjusters, hardware kit (springs / clips etc) and even replacement self adjuster cables.

@Jax_1975_Dart Well now I just feel stupid for not even checking Rock Auto, that one completely slipped my mind! :eek:

Looks like they should have what I need, probably fine to order the brakes for a B or E body to get 11" right? The Abody only goes up to 10"...

I just ordered all the stuff from Rock also. I always check prices between Rock, O Reilly etc. and compare. Just ordered shocks from Rock. Same part number was twice as high at O Reilly as with shipping with Rock. Not always the case.'
Wonder how many billions the O Reilly family needs?
Then this AM I stood in inline at O Reilly 20 minutes to get 3 ft of fuel line hose. 2 counter guys, on eon the phone, and retarded customers ahead of me! lol But. I ain't complaining!!!!!!

Hmm.. I’m not sure *at all* if there are any nuanced differences between B or E body rear drum brakes versus A body. If you do go that route... I would measure and double measure the shoe sizes and drum width ( just to make sure what arrives in the mail is the exact same dimensions as what you take off).

Are your rear 11” drums not OEM for your vehicle?

Also, if you look up 1975 dart sport with 225 size engine... there is an option for 11” drum (for the front though; not the rear).

I admit I did not notice about the 11 inch drums either. Yep be sure to measure, I don't believe it would have come OEM on a 71 Duster. If 11 inch in fact, you just need a hardware kit for 11 inch and right shoes. Notice not all kits contains all the pieces of the puzzle!

Appreciate everyone's help! it was not a factory 8 3/4 and unfortunately when I bought it the previous owner didn't know what it came out of... I'll be sure to check all of the measurements before ordering. I might post some pictures just to get a few second opinions before I order anything.

The backing plate will dictate what it is as far as a kit and shoes. LIke said by other, bet it is out if a BB 65-70 B body, fit right in the A body.

Oops, my mistake. They are 10" brakes not 11" Looks like there are plenty of sources for what I'll need.

Take your used stuff to a good parts house and walk out with what you need...
Yesterday I paid $8.99 at the Leprechauns for an oil filter I can buy at my Federated store for $2.15.

10x1-3/4 are original A body brake dimensions.
Just look up 71 duster with 10" rear drums for parts.

Last edited:
Hi Raker. Do you have the part number for the rear drums. Checked Rock auto and they don't have much for 10". 8 /34 I'm building has the same 10x1.75 shoes and sbp. Thank you

Hi Raker. Do you have the part number for the rear drums. Checked Rock auto and they don't have much for 10". 8 /34 I'm building has the same 10x1.75 shoes and sbp. Thank you
Hmm, the ones I bought were the large bolt pattern not sbp but I think I did see some for the sbp. I had to go to manufacturer sites to find the compete specs so you may want to look into that as well. hope you can find what you need! If I come across what youre looking for I'll post it for you. :)

-
Back