where to get this wire connector? pin type

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
any ideas where to get just these little pin type connectors? i know year one makes the whole new complete plug, but its part of a brand new 500 dollar wire harness...lol

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

Radio shack.......doesn't.

But you CAN get "molex" style connectors a th' Shack, and if you are not concernerned that much about "restoration," that's what I'd do, and did. Solder some pigtail wires to your old connector on the board, install a Molex "inline" and off ya go They are available in all kinds of sizes, conductor count shapes, etc

molex%20con%20kit%20with%20tools.JPG

I suggest you throw a ring of tape or rubber band around that connector before the wires start switching holes.
Pull the female out give it a squeeze on a solid pin or nail whatever to set the inside diameter. Put a dab of dilectric lubricant on them and plug it in.. New identical replacements probably would be any better than those you have. Also if you did change only a few the wire lengths to the connector would vary and might cause more movement in/out of the connector.

I should add that those connectors weren't perfectly round from the factory. The oval gave them alignment toleranceand a bite. . I perfer making them round as possible, cleaning and installing with lube.

well, I'm rewiring my car with a universal E-Z wire harness, I was gonna use all the old plastic plugs, but I didn't wanna cut and re-splice the pig tails to the new wire...would like to replace everything with new wire........maybe it isn't necessary what I want to do....

James, what's the yellow jumper wire on the back of your cluster?

Thanks,
Tony

hey tony,

that is the demon instrument voltage regulator sold by redfish above. ^^^

http://www.DeMonIVR.com/

"Solid state regulators provide advantages other than no moving parts. Their output voltage is constant at 5.02 volts. Overload and short circuit protection features are built in. They cannot send 12 or more volts to the gauges, (possibly frying them), or send less than 5 volts (resulting in low or wrong readings), or cause wild needle swings (one of many malfunctions known to mechanical units)."

The yellow jumper is actually pointless since the copper conductive track connects those contact points anyway.
I saw the electronic regulator and noticed the yellow jumper too.

hey tony,

that is the demon instrument voltage regulator sold by redfish above. ^^^

http://www.DeMonIVR.com/

"Solid state regulators provide advantages other than no moving parts. Their output voltage is constant at 5.02 volts. Overload and short circuit protection features are built in. They cannot send 12 or more volts to the gauges, (possibly frying them), or send less than 5 volts (resulting in low or wrong readings), or cause wild needle swings (one of many malfunctions known to mechanical units)."

Thanks James

AB&E does have a system that works to replace this connector.Unfortunately right now our new B Body full harness kits are the only pieces which have this available. Our dash harnesses plug directly onto these pins. We currently do not sell the pin connectors seperately because correctly installing them requires a specialized crimping tool.
We hope to have a full multi harness kit for A Bodies this spring. If you decide to replace and upgrade your wiring completely, our kits include 13 terminated, labeled, easy to install harnesses with a 19 circuit fuse box, and a laser cut bulkhead plate for your firewall.
www.abewiringharnesses.com
The Home of the Complete Multi Harness Kit for your MOPAR!

The yellow jumper is actually pointless since the copper conductive track connects those contact points anyway.
I saw the electronic regulator and noticed the yellow jumper too.

Over the course of 5 years and nearly 60 rallye fuel gauges modified,
2 of my customers reported one or more of the other gauges not recieving the 5 volts. From here I could only assume the fault to be in the copper trace on those circuit boards. So in an effort to address every possible problems at once, all IVRs shipped with a modified fuel gauge include that jumper wire.
It's a second path for the 5 volts wheather its needed or not.
Any of my customers will tell you their happy moparing is my only goal.
Repeatedly removing and reinstalling the instrument panel is not happy moparing in my opinion.

-
Back