where to mount rear spoiler on 73 duster

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
could someone give me the correct mounting position on where to place my rear trunk spoiler, or wing some people call it, i have 73 duster, i dont they came stock on them, so any year 70, 71 ,72, would be fine, like i say it is 1973 duster, thanks

Have you already bought the go-wing? They should come with instructions and location measurements. They require special brackets to be mounted in specific locations under the bottom of the deck lid and placed inside holes cut into the underside sheet metal. Does your deck lid have the factory provided holes? If not, places that sell the go-wings also have available a set of plastic templates molded to the shape of the deck lid so you can easily mark off the cut lines and drilled holes' locations. It can be tricky.

Jerry

First Place Products has the spoiler kits with brackets, hardware and instructions. I have my deck lid cut and drilled for it and am doing the body work now, instructions were easy.

i am getting one from rtl accessories here are the parts should i still have to cut trunk to mount,Here we have a brand new reproduction Go Wing Spoiler for your
1970-1974 Mopar muscle car.

This wing will fit the following cars:
Challenger, Cuda, Charger, Dart, Duster, Demon, Road Runner and
any other Dodge or Plymouth.

This kit includes the following parts:
-Spoiler Blade
-Spoiler Pedastals and tightening bolts
-Pedastal Gaskets
-Spoiler to Pedastal mounting brackets
-Mounting bracket screws
-Spoiler to Pedastal rubber gaskets
-Pedastal adjustment bolts and nuts

Yes, the mounting brackets fit from underneath and MUST go into the cut-outs. If you don't use the brackets, the weight and movement of the go-wing will dent or crease your deck lid's outer skin in no time. Think about how thin the sheet metal is there. The wing's pedestals actually mount to the brackets for strength, rather than the sheet metal. Here you can see the pedestal bolts coming all the way down through the bracket.

Jerry

Go Wing 01.JPG

Pedestal 01.JPG

Wing Bracket 01.JPG

Wing Bracket 02.JPG

do you by chance know the starting point of dimensions on the trunk that i mount it for instance how far from side or how far from top so i can have it in right place thanks

what brand is your spoiler, i am getting one from rtl accessories, am i thinking this whole mounting thing wrong or will 73 duster have brackets on inside of trunk to automatically go by, it is in storage now and cant see inside of trunk , thanks

If I am not mistaken, unless your car already had a wing installed, it will not have brackets (there would have been no reason for them). Also, you will not be able to mount the wing correctly unless you have the brackets and their cut-outs in the deck lid. It is not just a simple matter of drilling a couple of holes through it and bolting down the pedestals. Your vendor should include proper mounting instructions.

Sorry, I can't help with measurements right now. My son Aaron is at college with his Dart Sport that has the wing. If he comes in this weekend, I'll take some measurements.

Jerry

thanks i am a little nervous about this, but i am going to try it, do you think i have to cut the top side of trunk lid or just the underneath, its still in my back garage so i have time to figure this out, wing has not been bought yet, i live in michigan, so i cant do nothing yet, there is more snow here now than i have seen since i was a kid and when i actually enjoyed it, thanks

I will tell you where I put mine..I have a 72 Demon without the inside trunk brackets and I think it will be just fine. Lots of metal there to keep it from damaging the trunk lid.
From the top of the trunk at the back window I came down 21 1/4 inches to the top of the first pedistal, from the side of the trunk lid I came in 12 5/8 that was with the tape flat against the side of the rear panel.
Hope this helps.
AL

You are NOT going to cut the top skin of your deck lid. All you do there is drill two holes just large enough for the pedestal mounting bolts to slip through. The cutting takes place underneath.

I know the black paint in the pictures I showed earlier makes it difficult to tell much about the hole and bracket. Aaron will be coming home tomorrow for the weekend, so I will try to get better pics.

Be patient,
Jerry

Please take notice of their warning about damage to the deck lid without proper bracing.

Aaron came home with his Dart today. See if these make it a bit easier to understand:

Wing Bracket 04.jpg

Wing Bracket 01.jpg

Wing Bracket 02.jpg

Wing Bracket 03.JPG

Wow, that was a while ago when I posted that! Glad you found it helpful.
I have a go wing I'm putting on my 74 Duster. Got the hardware from First place auto/ trim parts. Excellent people, great service, and awesome price. Thank you for sharing the mount info!

I have a go wing I'm putting on my 74 Duster. Got the hardware from First place auto/ trim parts. Excellent people, great service, and awesome price. Thank you for sharing the mount info!
No Problem. That was quite a while ago, but I'm glad the information is still helping others.

-
Back