Where to place the sealing bead on conventional windshield rubber?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Please forgive me, guys, if this question is rather clueless! I'm a newbie to auto glass work.

I'm replacing the rear window on my '70s Dodge that has locking-strip type rubber. I intend to use 3M 08509 glass bedding compound to seal the rubber to the body. Where should I place the bead of sealing compound: on the outside of the window opening, on the interior of the window opening, or into the slot in the rubber?

Thanks a lot!

I don't recall using any on a the rear window. The front it's in the corners, I did both inside the rubber on both glass and steel.

Riddler

Simple answer, you don't. The new gasket should seal just fine all by itself.

Ha! I've replaced literally hundreds with gasket and without like the GM that's held and sealed with the black bead roll sealant. Lemmie tell you, not one single time have I EVER gotten a gasketed window to seal without sealer.

I like using 3M clear automotive window sealer. I cut the tip small, and after I install the window and get the gasket all worked around even good, before I put the lock strip in, I insert the tip between the outside of the gasket and the pinch weld and go all the way around with the sealant. Then install the lockstrip and call it done. Sometimes after you install the lockstrip, a little sealant will push out around the gasket. Be ready with some rags to wipe it off before it sets up.

-
Back