Which 360?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
I just made a trip to a local salvage yard and found two 360's. One is a four barrel in a 79 pickup truck, the other is a 1973 2 barrel in a Fury. I am not really concerned with the top end, because I will replace the heads and intake. I was wondering if one of these two blocks has any advantages over the other one? Does a truck block have the same motor mount locations? It will be going in a 71 Demon. Thanks Warren

If it is an original block, the 71-74(thats the right years?) cores are supposed to have stronger/thicker cylinder wall. As far as the truck block, I really dont know. Good luck to you :thumbup:
Ryan

I think the truck 360 should be an E58, it would have a better cam and heads, and possibly a windage tray? (not sure if they used that in the trucks). the truck would also have the wrong oil pan and oil pickup for a car. but they are available aftermarket (chrome) from summit or others. you would nead to buy the proper mounts for your A body but the blocks are the same. there isnt much difference in 360 blocks except for in early 72 when the cyl walls were much thicker.

Only the very early yrs. had the thicker cyl. walls. Usually anything newer than 72 wasn't thick wall but it's a slight possibility if it was a very early 73. The only way the 79 360 is a E58 is if it came out of a little red express truck. Regular pickups didn't use the e58 engine.

They all have motor mounting ears in the same locations.

What I'd do is try to verify the mileage on them. Get the one with the lowest miles. It'll probably have the least ammount of cyl. wall wear.

fishy68 said:
Get the one with the lowest miles. It'll probably have the least ammount of cyl. wall wear.

Yup. If you're rebuilding it anyway, the least miles and/or cheapest will be fine.

-
Back