Which BS at 8.75 BBP?

-

testerli33

Reaction score
I was able to get hold of an original 8.75 A-body axle, small bolt circle. To do this, the parts required to convert to the large bolt circle, as well as to drum brakes in size 10x2.5. I currently have a 7.25 axle with 15x8 Steelies, but re-welded, don't know the exact BS. The Duster is original, no modifications to the chassis. Now my question, if I buy new steelies, which BS should I choose? 4 inches or 4.5 inches? Or Otter BS? Tire size will be 255 60 15, the wheel should be as far out of the wheelhouse as possible, does anyone have any experience? :)

20220731_133357.jpg

Last edited:
These have the original but also the small bolt circle? I think I will use 4.5 BS because the large bolt circle makes the axle a bit wider. But the best thing is probably when I install the axle and then measure what has space :)

Which actual axles do you have?

Because if you have original SBP axles that have been re-drilled for the BBP then you still have the narrower width. And you won’t be able to use those 10x2.5” brakes either.

The axle flange standoff distance is unique to the SBP axles, so the backing plate offset is different from the SBP drums and the BBP drums.

F484CA2C-D632-4A56-A0D4-57D1DD8B3303.jpeg

If you have re-drilled SBP axles you need to re-drill a set of SBP drums
and use the SBP backing plates, you can’t use the BBP backing plates or drums.

As for the backspace, a 4.5” backspace usually works best with the BBP axles. A 4” backspace can be used with the SBP axles.

-
Back